Internal Harddisk recommendation

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by SkylineRemix, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Hi all,

I was just doing some survey for notebook internal harddisk price and would like to ask if Hitachi's internal harddisk is reliable. I'm currently using a macbook with a 160GB Fujitsu harddisk equipped and it's gonna be 3 years old soon, and i'm running out of space! Thanks to Thailand's flood, harddisk price has jacked up since the end of last year.

Back to topic, I'm looking for 750GB harddisk but there's only Hitachi for me to choose if I really want that size. Would like to know if anyone here had any experience with this particular brand, really like to hear your opinions. I've been using WD and Seagate since beginning for my 1st custom build PC, would feel comfortable if 750GB is still available for WD.

Otherwise, an upgrade to 500GB would also do fine but have to wait for the right price to buy it. Btw, I'm not getting it any sooner and expecting to get it sometime in Q3 2012 or after the flood has settled down.

Thank You.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I haven't tried the Hitachi 750 GB yet so I can't comment on it. However, I've tried and even reviewed the WD Scorpio Black 750 GB HDD. I really liked it - it's fast and it was pretty cheap back then. Now I'm not sure if you can even get it, thanks to the Thai floods... :(

If you can wait, it's better you wait. The prices of HDD are still elevated. I think WD said that their supply will normalize to the pre-flood levels sometime between July - September. See here.

HDD prices will likely drop over time between now and then, and go back or close to the old prices by Q3 2012.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think you should wait for another 1/2 a year and ask this question again. A lot will change, especially the price.

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

There is only 2 brands eventually ..

5. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

planning to get in oct or nov, before pc fair dec 2012.

Btw Adrian, does 7200rpm notebook harddisk generate more heat? I always have the idea that notebook's suitable harddisk speed is 5400rpm.

6. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Is WD is acquiring Hitachi?

7. Adrian Wong

It will be slightly hotter but the performance of that particular model is SUPERB.

8. Adrian Wong

WD acquired Hitachi Global Storage Technologies sometime in March 2011. :D

9. Chai

True, but I know some of these product lines will usually be maintained for awhile usually.

10. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Nope .. Samsung HDD brand is gone, history with WD acquisition, .. Hit would be gone too... product line maybe there but WD is stronger in SATA products ..

11. Chai

This is sad news....I remember when Seagate took over Quantum, they used to continue making Quantum drives with Seagate brand.

12. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Well, I just hope after the flood issue, the 750GB Scorpio Black would be available.

13. Adrian Wong

Well, when they took over Maxtor, they continued to make Maxtors but only as a lower-end product. Not sure what's the real difference though.

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

how about sas drives then? WD doesn't make alot of sas drives, do they?

15. Chai

Does Samsung make SAS drives?

16. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

WD got SAS drive is small quantities ... Hit is stronger in Enterprise so go figure..

17. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Nope, only notebook drive....

18. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I thought is was Maxtor that tookover Quantum, hence the Quantum-Maxtor Brand. Only after that Seagete tookover Maxtor.

19. Chai

Yeah, sorry, got confused with the history. Never good at them. :haha:

20. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Hmm? I thought Seagate bought Samsung?