The Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Have you guys seen the new Dell XPS 13 ultrabook??? I'm wondering if it's worth splurging on... :drool:

256 GB of SSD goodness! But no idea what SSD they are using. I tried looking but it's just listed as a 256 GB SSD.

Then again, it would make more sense to wait for the Ivy Bridge version of this ultrabook... :wall:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What is it so great about Ivy Bridge other than being a little faster?

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

IMO this product could be the greatest ultrabook. but Dell shot itself in the foot.

whats the point of having a gorilla glass when your screen is shit?

1366 x 768 at 13 inch. objects are gonna look so ugly on the xps13. extra weight for less screen estate. it's just so sad at so many levels.

the ultrabook concept is great (great performance and good form factor) but intel needs to be stricter in its spec. otherwise PC manufacturers will spoil the whole concept again (e.g. ACER).

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I quite agree with you.

Comparing the $1299 version for xps 13 and macbook air 13".

XPS has mobile broadband and extra 128gb space.
    Mac has higher resolution screen and SD card slot.

space is something you can expand by using an external hard disk or maybe an upgrade kit in the future, however, screens can never be upgraded.

Plus, I can get discount of about $100 on the Mac.

Sorry Dell, If I ever buy a ultrabook, I will most likely buy a Mac because I want HIGHER resolution display.

5. Chai

I miss the days when Dell was customisable, including screen resolution.

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. The biggest gripe I have with my 13"MBP is the stupid 1280x800 screen res as compared to Leian's 13" MBA 1440x900.

This is probably the only reason why I'm thinking of refreshing to a new 15" MBP when it comes out... maybe... :p

7. Chai

Hmm, only Dell and MBP? There's Asus to consider. I think they make good notebooks.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

at 1366x768, it's worse than a 2 yr old business notebook.

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

There should be more ultrabook coming out in April ..

10. Adrian Wong

I think speed is no longer that much of an issue with Intel processors these days. It's just that it's a more efficient processor producing less heat and using less power => longer battery life.

11. Adrian Wong

Haha!! I agree with you on the Gorilla Glass and the LCD panel. Real shame IMHO. I wish they would skip the Gorilla Glass and use the savings on a higher resolution screen.

I'm using a 14" Dell Inspiron with a 13x7 screen and it's truly shitty. But I console myself with the fact that I get to pair it with an awesome LCD monitor with an IPS panel at home. Otherwise, I can really puke on this monitor... :evil:

12. Adrian Wong

Space can only be realistically expanded via an external HDD. Dell allows you to upgrade the SSD but it's not a standard 2.5" sized SSD but a smaller customized version, so you can only get the upgrade from Dell... and I doubt it'll be affordable.

At the 13" size, the screen resolution should be at least 1440 x 900. That said, resolution is one thing.. the panel should be IPS, not TN. TN panels are still crappy, no matter how they improve them.

13. Adrian Wong

I think that was only possible when the Penang factory will still operational. Now, I think all their notebooks are being manufactured in China so it makes sense to limit the options to a few SKUs and only allow minor upgrades that can be performed locally.

14. zy

Yes, most likely a customized version or a mSATA version. The macbook air has a customized version as well, but there are people making upgrade kits for it already.

I think some macbooks uses TN panels.

15. Chai

But are they really more efficient? My current not-so-new T410 running some i5 processor feels much hotter than my old Core 2 Duo laptop.

16. Adrian Wong

It looks like a mSATA version with a non-standard form factor. No idea if people will make upgrade kits for this one but I doubt it will be cheap - large capacity SSDs are never cheap. :D

I wouldn't be surprised. Even Dell uses TN panels for most of their Inspiron notebooks. They like to call them LED displays but that's just the backlight. The panels are still TN - crappy.

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Penang factory is still operational... but only churns out desktops and servers... :boohoo: Only 2 lines left if I'm not wrong. Now all the issues I received are from China Dell's factory and ODMs... So far away and hard to troubleshoot and slow with emails flying around. :doh:

A few days ago, we have a staff sale, for 50 XPS13... all gone within a day. :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I only heard that their notebooks moved to China. Didn't know about the desktops and servers. That's why customization options are so limited. :wall: :wall:

19. zy

Yeah, I noticed all the newer Dell laptops are assembled in China.

Sucks, miss the good old days where there are more customizations.

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haha there is only so much plastic people can tolerate. the xps line used to be very good.

even asus notebooks are better built these days.