Restoring my MTB

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

2. Chai

Yeah...I was hurt quite badly. My scar has not recovered yet after 2 weeks! I have a lot of cuts all over my legs.

The stem was twisted, so I was limping back holding the handlebar facing right! :haha: I should have taken a picture, but I was in pain at that time.

A riding partner would be good, as I've been riding alone all this while and it is quite dangerous, especially after a fall like this!

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Rain!!!???

What about the trees and hills!!!???:whistle: :pray:

4. Trinity

This is the first time that I see full suspension is necessary.:think:

And disc brakes...:think:

5. Chai

Did you hear the commentator at the end? I wonder how he sits with balls this big! :haha:

6. Trinity

Haha,,, Yeah!:haha:

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow!! You are really a hands-on, DIY guy!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Hmm.. Maybe I should get you to look at my bike... :shifty: :shifty:

8. Chai

Finally the respray is completed!

Attached Files:

9. Trinity

:clap: Damn!!! Looks new again!:clap:

10. Chai

Yup! But the color looks a bit pinkish under certain lighting. My next project will be replacing the fork.

11. Chai

I have purchased a used Rock Shox Judy SL '95 from ebay, and also restored the broken dampers and elastomers with brand new Risse Racing GEM dampers and spring kit.

This is an important upgrade for MTB riding as it is highly recommended to have decent suspension fork to absorb shock. Your arms will thank you a lot for the upgrade. :mrgreen: I know mine did.

Now my ride is pretty plush and it handles bumpy sections very well and I'm capable of catching other riders with much more modern bike. :thumb:

Attached Files:

12. Adrian Wong

Used? They look brand new. Are they much cheaper on eBay, or just impossible to find here?

13. Chai

It's just impossible to find it here. I was pretty lucky to find a matching fork for my bike, and it was in pretty good condition, externally anyway...

My bike is probably the oldest functional around. In fact, I have not even seen a bike which is pre-2005! So finding old used parts is almost impossible.

14. Chai

New mud guard, stem, Cane Creek S2 headset, and new Continental Mountain King 2.2!

Attached Files:

15. Adrian Wong

My bike is older but is barely functional... It squeaks like a mouse.. :wall: :wall:

16. Trinity

That new stem and headset sure make's the whole bike pop!:cool: :clap:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  17. Chai

My bike was purchased in 1994 if I remember correctly.

Trin: The stem and headset were purchased solely on performance, aesthetic was never part of the upgrade. :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

Okay, that is really old. I think I bought my bike in Melaka around 2004? So your bike is at least a decade older than my bike!! :D

19. Chai

Yeah, so it is really hard to find parts this old.

But the restoration is completed! Now it's all about having fun and maintaining it!

20. Adrian Wong

One day, I must pass you my bicycle.. and let you have fun restoring it! :haha: :haha: