Jammed laser printer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The_YongGrand, Apr 13, 2012.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I have a 3-year old Brother HL2140 - which is printing OK until the last few weeks. The paper is always jammed halfway right after one print, or even the first print. I had to yank the paper out manually with the toner smearing over it.

I checked the troubleshooting manual, but I still get all the jammings.

Is the drum unit broken? Obviously, dismantling the thing and tinker around will be a risky job, and I rather send it to a qualified technician. :faint:

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

depends on how it's jammed, is the paper cumpled together?

or just print half way?

3. The_YongGrand

It prints half way through, then the printer stop printing and the Error LED lit up. It won't print afterwards, unless I have to yank the paper out again, with the toner smearing all over the paper and it becomes rolled and crumpled. I suspect that one of the gears inside the drum or something else got stuck.

I was hoping that it's the drum fault so that I don't have to replace the printer, but when I checked online for drum replacements, it's as expensive as a new printer alone! :faint:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Could be fuser problem, some of the common wear and tear.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Sorry, I totally though of this:

:p

6. The_YongGrand

I scouted for some drum kits, hoping that it's a good replacement.

To my disappointment, the drum kits are as expensive as buying a new one. A new one has a full duplex printing and stuff. :wall:

Psykotik: Lol at the scene. Reminds me of the Family Guy's scene as well, Stewie and Brian brought that vinyl and broke it all into pieces. :haha:

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! That's hilarious! They actually have to hold him back! Must hate the printer A LOT! :haha: :haha: :thumb:

The_YongGrand, looks like you will need to change the drum. I think it's going to cost you a pretty penny. You might as well run over to PC Fair (ends today) and pick yourself a new printer, cause it's probably cheaper to buy a new printer and change the drum. When I was there on Friday, there were some pretty good deals from HP, Canon, Oki and Brother.

8. The_YongGrand

Ya, I almost took that bat over there and hit my printer... :haha:

Btw, I'm thinking of changing the entire printer. Jusco sold a new one with duplex printing at the same cost of the old one bought in 2009.

The thing is, how am I going to dispose the old broken one? Are there centers which I can dump this thing?

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Good point. Hmm.. Well, I know that All IT Hypermarket collects old or non-working PCs for disposal. Maybe you can drop your printer off at one of their branches?

10. The_YongGrand

Yeah, I'll send it there. Hopefully they will dispose them properly. :)

The duplex laser printer sounds tempting - print two sides. Good for printing datasheets. :)

11. Falcone

could be the feeder problem, does it takes longer for the feeder to get the paper into printer? Or it could be the paper detector is faulty or stuck.

12. The_YongGrand

It loads the paper as fast as when I bought the thing on day one. :)

The paper got stuck at the drum and toner. I could not isolate the problem. Maybe when I have free time, I'd take it apart and see what was eating the drum. :)

13. Falcone

Ok then do you feel heat from the paper?

Also there is a posibilty that the printer is not detecting the paper even thought the paper is loaded and hence the error.

14. The_YongGrand

The paper is warm. It prints too, the printouts are there but halfway through. :D

15. Falcone

Then the heating unit is ok.

Check the tiny hook which detects the paper.

16. The_YongGrand

I can't find the hook - is it in the drum, or in the printer?:think:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  17. Falcone

Usually is at the part where the paper feeds in....

There could be more sensors, all depends on the printer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  18. The_YongGrand

I'll do my best to find it. Poor thing, now the thing's all spilling black stuff. I'll temporarily use my new inkjet while sending this to the service center. :faint:

19. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

had the same problem about 3 years back. Never did get to service my printer since it was already out of warranty. Same model too. I believe it's drum unit problem. Probably misaligned already causing the paper not to fit properly.

One thing though, try feeding the paper using the manual feeder. It's a damn hassle though since it only allows you to feed one paper each time. But we found that using the manual feed worked.... at least for a while.

20. The_YongGrand

The manual is all okay. It's a bit tedious or mafan to load it up one by one, but I have to make do of it for now as I'm trying to use up all the toner first. :haha: