earthquake

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PowerSlide, Apr 11, 2012.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Your ok!:)

I'd spend a few hours outside just now if I were you...:shifty: :faint:

In case of aftershock...:faint:

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Any damage to your place?

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

just read on a.m. news... Hope everyone is OK! :pray:
    8.7? :faint:

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

8.7 and the 2nd one at 8.2... I'm ok in Penang. They have called off the warning... :wave: :beer:

I didn't feel a thing... was fast asleep when the first one struck, the 2nd one... well, didn't feel that too... :mrgreen:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why don't I ever feel any quake all these while...

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hope everything is OK here.

Well, I felt it for the first time in my life.

On evening, I was pondering on something with my elbow on the desk and palm on the cheek. All of the sudden I felt 'dizzy'. Thought I hadn't slept enough, so I got up from the chair.

My horrors were confirmed when I found the table is creaking also. So it's not my head which is spinning. It shaked for a minute. And the cables are swinging a bit.

Then I discovered that it's an earthquake off the coast near Sumatra when I checked the metrological department.:faint:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I didn't feel anything here in Petaling Jaya! But my ex-neighbours in Kelana Jaya said they felt the condo shaking a little. No damage though.

However, my old schoolmate in Juru, Penang reported that one of his apartment blocks look like it's tilting.. :think:

9. The_YongGrand

Man, we should propose to the government that we need to earthquake proof newer buildings! :faint:

10. Adrian Wong

Well, we are not near any fault lines and we never actually suffered an earthquake in the past history, so there wouldn't actually be a point in proofing our buildings from earthquakes. It would only add unnecessary costs to our already pretty unaffordable property market.

AFAIK, our buildings should have no problem withstanding such relatively minor shakes. My ex-classmate's apartment just happens to be built on old swampland. They probably never let the water fully drain from the land before they started building on it, just like some developers take a shortcut while building on old dumpsites.

The land will settle unevenly over time causing such tilts. My guess is that the recent earthquake just sped things up a bit.

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Didn't feel anything this time, I remember feeling the shakes in '07 and '09.
    Last night I dreamt I felt some tremors while in church though, so when I woke up I went to check if it actually happened or if it was really just a dream :shifty:

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

13. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!!! I'm the SECOND type of Malaysian. :haha: :haha: :thumb:

14. The_YongGrand

Trust me, once you felt the slightest earthquake, you won't want to feel it anymore! It's scary! :whistle: :faint:

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I remembered during the 07 quake, I was in the same building as Jeremy, he felt the quake. But I started questioning him back, "What quake?". 5 mins later, the building management announced for immediate evacuation...

Guess which type do I belong? :haha:

16. Adrian Wong

I didn't feel that quake. But I did feel the 2005 Sumatra quake. I was staying in Melaka then... could definitely feel the "earth move". Not too badly though. Just enough to alert us and get us to evacuate the apartment.

17. The_YongGrand

You felt the earth move? Whoa... that is quite strong.:faint:

18. Adrian Wong

Well, I felt my floor move! :D

I was on the 7th floor, so yeah, I could feel it move. And while it moved, I remember that people I was chatting with were telling me that there was an earthquake! :D

19. The_YongGrand

Luckily the MRR2 flyover a few doors in front of me isn't any cracking. I am afraid to think what will happen on the bridge when the floor is shaking even harder!:faint:

20. Adrian Wong

That's something we need to worry about. All these substandard projects need to be looked at after such quakes.