Internal Harddisk recommendation

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by SkylineRemix, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, Seagate "swallowed" Samsung's HDD division. Very much like the way WD "walloped" Hitachi's HDD division. LOL!

2. oliverpowell

oliverpowell Newbie

Hard drive prices will remain the same as long as the flood condintions are under control...You could expect that prices will declined at the end of 2012, but You can't gaurantee it....Look on some upon points of an article i found interesting:
    computerworld.com/s/article/9224221/Hard_drive_prices_to_remain_high_through_2014

3. Adrian Wong

Sounds about right, but I certainly hope the prices won't remain elevated until 2014! :think:

Any thoughts, mikegas?

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

No comment on prices, I don't care about prices. For all I care, prices can be sky rocket forever .. muahahahah ..

More important news, you're going to have 3.5" Toshiba drives in the future! :)

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

5. Adrian Wong

LOL!! So evil. :haha:

6. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

7. Adrian Wong

Haven't seen any for sale. I think these are usually OEM-installed in some laptops.

8. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

there's one in lowyat forum selling for RM 385 for 500GB. Is this a better alternative? SSD really expensive lah for now. Capacity also quite small.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I would rather get a normal HDD. I don't see much gain using the hybrid. Never a fan of hybrid. They are always compromising too many things, master of nothing.

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Hybrid is only useful if you have the same SHORT routine. :lol:

11. Adrian Wong

Well, the hybrid HDD would allow your OS to boot up faster if it supports SSD caching. Windows 7 does, so you will see it boot faster using the hybrid HDD. However, I think that's about it.

The thing about hybrid HDD is that it's quite a bit more expensive than regular HDD but you don't benefit from its shock-proof nature. That's the key benefit of SSD, at least for me. :D

12. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Unsure if I should patiently wait for the 750GB version of WD Scorpio Black or go straight for 500GB Seagate Momentus XT. On the fence now.... GAH... Better not get it when I need more space...

13. Adrian Wong

HDD prices have fallen quite a bit since the news broke that HDD prices were not really affected that much by the Thai floods... you might as well get the 750 GB WD Scorpio Black, unless you are waiting for the 1 TB version?

14. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

malaysia market now only have 500GB Scorpio Black. Maybe that would be my alternative.

15. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

Actually I'm waiting for 10.8 mountain lion. I'm just uncertain if I should get a 500GB Scorpio Black as a replacement now because I'm really running out of space (dealing with 5GB of free space) and since I'm using bootcamp on my current 160GB. LOL.

16. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You are right. No idea why there is no stock of the 750 GB Scorpio Black in Malaysia. If you know someone in Singapore, maybe you can ask him to buy you one from over there?

17. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

sadly no... LOL.
    but things in SG is quite expensive right? How much would a 750GB WD Scorpio black cost in SG? If buy from there, warranty can claim here ah?

18. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, it's cheaper in Singapore. Should be able, but you will have to deal directly with WD. Then again, it's not like we are really getting any real service from our dealers here! :)

19. SkylineRemix

SkylineRemix Newbie

You have a point actually. Roadtrip to singapore anyone? hahaha...

20. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I've a used 500GB Scorpio Black if you want. I just need to copy out all my files... I just upgraded to a 300GB + 256GB SSD combo on my MBP :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And since I already have a 1TB external drive, I'm not sure what to do with the 500GB Scorpio... used it for about 1+ year now.