Restoring my MTB

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

When is the last time you took a ride on a bike? You gotta try again...:) It makes you feel young and takes all your worrys away for the time being.:D

2. Trinity

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

After watching that clip, it reminded me of my fall when I was trying to tackle a steep decline few weeks ago. I went over the bar, and both of my knees were bleeding. I have to wait for at least 5 minutes before I could get up...

4. Trinity

Haha,,, Been there done that...:shifty: :oops: :doh:

5. Chai

6. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Thats SWEET! Can you mount the cam on front of frame? :wave:

7. Chai

Can't find a suitable place to mount since the cam is not wide enough. Thinking of mounting a wide angle lens. Will need to experiment more...

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Is this one of those Go cams? :think:
    http://gopro.com/

I so need one for my "new" toy.

Ideal mount point would be... *going to get pic* where you would mount a front facing reflector, which I think are mandatory in the US :roll: and you ride on the streets. I bet Trin would know.

Does this cam have some sort of optical stibilizer?

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      74.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Chai

I bought one of these...

Mini DVR 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera #16 Real HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder | eBay

It is much cheaper and it works extremely well. The only big problem is the battery life. Without battery pack, probably going to last 30 mins or so.

Gopro is much better in terms of viewing angle, and it is a well established product. You get what you pay for!

Edit: I found these. Would be perfect for mounting on my handlebar!

Bike Holder Bicycle HandleBar Mount Holder For 808 Jumbo camera Cam 1pc | eBay

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  10. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

IMO, problem with handle bar mount is the constant yaw as you steer, the front frame tube position changes least. ;)

11. Chai

Yup, but front tube can be quite shaky and all you see is shaky scenery, unlike the position which I have mounted onto where you can see part of the bike frame. I have read that mounting on to the chest is probably the best.

12. Trinity

That was cool!:cool:

Inspired me to get out and ride about 3 hours just now.:D

13. Chai

14. Trinity

So many bills now!:wall: I'd love to get a camera on my bike!

Do you like that bike better then yours?

Helmet cam???:think:

It's 4:52 AM here now and it's still 80 outside!!!:shock: Should go ride again, under the stars.:)

15. Chai

I ride both pretty regularly. The fork on the new bike is definitely much much better than the old bike. Soak bumps and drops extremely well. It is also lighter so I can climb longer and harder. It has a smaller frame which I like it a lot. Feels nimbler. Disc brakes are excellent, but takes a very long time to adapt.

But some components are pretty entry level stuffs, like the Shimano Alivio shifter, hubs, cassette are pretty heavy. These are some of the items that I will replace once they wear out.

The camera that I got is pretty cheap. Just $40+.

16. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Indeed, at ~1:40 you can see the shocks doing thier job. Cant wait to see wide angle and hopefully more of the wildneress. :thumb:

17. Chai

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  18. Trinity

19. Chai

Not really, I usually cycle alone, and sometimes with a small group of cyclist.

That's a really good history of the trail, especially the talking about founder.

20. Trinity

Got three hours in on the pk ripper just now.:D

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:D :D :D