Camera Lens Buying Guide Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With digital SLR cameras so affordable now, it's inevitable for techies and budding photographers alike to snap them up like hot cakes. But while the cameras are cheap, the lenses are not.

But fret not, because you can actually buy used lenses instead! Used lenses are a real bargain but there are some things you should be aware before you buy them. And that's what this guide is all about!

[​IMG]

Link : Used Lens Buying Guide!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Used Lens Buying Guide Part 2!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

With digital SLR cameras so affordable now, it's inevitable for techies and budding photographers alike to snap them up like hot cakes. But while the cameras are cheap, the lenses are not.

But fret not, because you can actually buy used lenses instead! Used lenses are a real bargain but there are some things you should be aware before you buy them. And that's what this guide is all about!

Here are the updates:-
    • Loose switches
    • Dust inside the lens
    • Oily aperture blades
    • Sticky aperture blades
    • Eroded lens coatings

[​IMG]

Link : Used Lens Buying Guide Part 2!

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

3rd and Final Part of Used Lens Buying Guide Posted!

We have released the third and final part of the guide with the following updates:-
    • Scratched lens elements
    • Chipped lens elements
    • Loose elements
    • Worn or damaged focusing helicoid
    • Lens fungus
    • Buying lens online
    • Avoiding fraud

[​IMG]

Link : Used Lens Buying Guide!

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 1.1 Posted!

We have released the third and final part of the guide with the following updates:-
    • Added the Damaged Zoom Action section in Page 4.
    • Added the Separated Lens Elements section in Page 8.

[​IMG]

Link : Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 1.1!

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 2.0

This update includes the revamp of the entire guide with re-edited photos and an improved layout. :wave:

But fret not, because you can actually buy used lenses instead. Used lenses are a real bargain but there are some things you should be aware before you buy them. And that's what this guide is all about.

[​IMG]

Link : Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 2.0

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 3.0

But fret not, because you can actually buy used lenses instead. Used lenses are a real bargain but there are some things you should be aware before you buy them. And that's what this guide is all about.

Here's a quote from the article :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 3.0

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nice update :thumb:

8. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

great guide, i know sh!t about SLRs, now i'm tempted to discard my camera phone & get one of those.. :drool:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, it's just a guide on how you can select good second-hand lens. If you can afford it, new lenses are always nice. :twisted:

But don't worry so much about the camera. I've learned that the photographer is definitely more important than the camera. :D

10. Adrian Wong

Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.0

In this major update, we revamped the entire guide with additional details and photos. We also corrected numerous mistakes and streamlined the guide.

[​IMG]

Link : Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.0

11. Adrian Wong

Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.1

In this update, we added many new photos and improved the guide's layout.

[​IMG]

Link : Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.1

12. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Here my some experience on AFS lens. Always check the AFS from short end to the long end, try placing the lens cap on and try to AF. See if the AF is smooth and not 'sticky', also take note if the manual focus ring moved when AF is applied, idealy the ring should not move at all.

Fixing AFS can be very expensive. Range From RM600-1200depending on how many parts they change.

Also check if the VR is working if It's a VR lens. I don't that many VR lens for comparison but my 70-200 is quite obvious when VR kicks in, other lens may not be that obvious.

Replacing the VR cost about RM600 last quoted by Nikon Malaysia.

13. Adrian Wong

You mean the vibration when VR kicks in? Eh, you had a problem with VR? What kind of problem?

Good idea on using the lens cap to AF!

14. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I was testing my friends 70-200 cause it's no as sharp as mine. Fiddling around it for sometime before I finally notice I did not feel the VR, 70-200 VR is the first gen VR is quite easy to notice, you'll hear a 'tick' when half press and a 'tock' when de-press, newer gen VR are less obvious but you can still feel the VR working if you pay attention to it.

The lens'd just came back from a major repair to fix the AF, and we are not sure if the VR was working in the first place. So of it went to Nikon.

15. Adrian Wong

Thanks for the heads-up! I will add them to the guide! :thumb:

16. Adrian Wong

Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.2

In this update, we added a new Damaged Lens Motor section, and a new Malfunctioning Image Stabilizer section. We also updated the Damaged Focusing Helicoid section. Many thanks to Falcone!

[​IMG]

Link : Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.2

17. Adrian Wong

Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.3

In this update, we added a new Damaged Contacts section. We also updated the Malfunctioning Image Stabilizer and Oily Aperture Blades sections.

[​IMG]

Link : Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.3

18. Adrian Wong

Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.4

But fret not, because you can actually buy second-hand lenses instead. Used lenses are a real bargain but there are some things you should be aware before you buy them. And that's what this guide is all about.

In this update, we revamped the entire guide, compressing it from 13 pages to just 7 pages, while adding several new photos and links.

[​IMG]

Link : Camera Lens Buying Guide Rev. 4.4