Iphone 5

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by belikethat, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. I seriously can't be out of touch.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL, it's probably due to Ryan! :haha:

3. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Sad to say, it was mostly just me. :(

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

different dollar, different quality la!

Apple loves margin. who doesn't? considering the button is hidden behind a plastic, which one would they pick? every iphone I owned - 3g, 3gs, 4 - had this problem. in fact it was so common, the info counter fellas at Singtel came out with a quick test to verify the problem. they would press the home button ten times in succession, and you just needed it to fail once to get a replacement. hahaha. I totally lol'ed when they did that to my 3gs. it was like a game of chance. we bingo at the 4th try.

Majority are tied to a 24mth contract, but the original warranty covers you only for a year. If I got you a quality button that could go on for 5 years, both the telco and I would be out be business dei!

Why do you think they stick two pieces of glasses on the iphone? Everyone drops their phone. of course they've studied the pattern. I dropped mine but I couldn't blame them. it was my fault you see! :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. a phone is just a phone. I'm just saying this is how manufacturers squeeze the margin. every single piece has a reason to be in there. just that Apple does it in a very Wall Street way (outside pretty inside kan), unlike the asian fellas (equally evil but just can't be bothered to hide it. they just love to show hand).

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Buy a rubber case. It will withstand drops much better. Makes the phone thicker so that it grips better too. :thumb:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

there is actually a specialized iphone 4 repair store in Sim Lim that can replace the glass for you. the drop rate is so high it's like a tyre shop now. everyone runs into tyre puncture once in a while right. hahaha.

On a side note, i think apple will eventually rename it as iPhone. Simple and neater. iPhone 5, 6, 7 8 9..... arg! neverending!

7. Adrian Wong

Wow.. The iPhone 4 is that delicate, huh? Luckily, my iPhone 3GS is much hardier.

Hey, you mean they will test your iPhone 4 before they give it to you? Or is that the test that allows them to swap you a new phone?

Over here, the Maxis guys just tell me - ini biasalah.. (this is common), and tell me to get it serviced for about RM 70. But servicing takes the phone out of commission for about 7 days... Crazy!

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yup. 3gs is actually more "rugged" than 4. plastic cover is not all bad.

hahaha ... is a test that allows them to swap me a ..ahem...refurbished phone.

maybe it's getting so common that they don't bother to test it anymore.

9. Adrian Wong

Eh, they will swap you the phone on the spot???

Over here, they will "service" the button for RM 70 but it takes a week or so. :think:

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Not sure how the latest process goes. its market share is way bigger than it was two years ago. They might not be able to hold that many spare units.

back then you get 1 for 1 swap in the first year.

Why must you pay RM70 to repair the broken button?

IMO apple offers the best customer/warranty service. I prefer the yes/no no nonsense way. If it's covered, they will get it settled for you. no question asked.

11. Vadakyis98

Vadakyis98 Newbie

I have Verizon wireless and I am in dire need of a new phone and I am able to upgrade (Phone 1). I was thinking of getting the Iphone 4 because I heard the 5 is coming out most likely in the summer. I also have another phone on the line that no one uses and can't b terminated without a fee for another year (Phone 2).

What I really wanted to know is if I get a phone now (Phone 1) and then get the new Iphone when it comes out by transferring the other phones (Phone 2) upgrade to me, Will I still be able to cancel that other phone (Phone 2) without a fee in a year when it is up or will it automatically make the other phone (Phone 2) a 2 year contract.

12. Adrian Wong

Well, because the problem only happened just after one year of service, so the warranty expired.

According to the Maxis staff I spoke to, it's not a problem. It's something to be expected after some use. I guess that would make it a delayed "feature". LOL!

13. Adrian Wong

Not sure if I get you right, but you want to upgrade to the iPhone 4S now using your Phone #1's plan, and then upgrade Phone #2 to the iPhone 5 next year when the plan runs out.

If that's so, then I don't think you should have a problem selling Phone #2, as the line would have transferred to the iPhone 5, which you upgraded to. However, you will still have two phones and two plans - the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5.

If you really want to upgrade to the iPhone 5 and only want to use one line, then your provider may allow you to upgrade your iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 by tacking on an extension to your contract. Over here, such an upgrade would normally add 2 years to the original contract.

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

And guess what. the real iphone5 is launching soon! haha

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Whoa really? But then they will keep slashing prices for the older series. :)

16. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Anybody here gonna get the iPhone 5 on launch day Malaysia? :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

No way.. the iPhone 4S launch was bad enough. I only bothered to line up because my iPhone 3GS had a dead Home button and I've been waiting to upgrade for months!

There's really no need to queue like that. Either order it online, or wait until the fuss is over. LOL!

Anyway, I don't need a need to upgrade from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5.

18. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Haha. Yeah. I remember lining up since 6am in the morning for the iPhone 4 last time. :nuts: But it was a good experience as had some nice chats with the other people in line on Apple stuffs.

A friend actually asked me to accompany him to line-up on launch day since both of us plan to upgrade our iPhone 4 units to iPhone 5. And we can't exactly pre-order from Apple as we need the Maxis contract plan (unless the announced plan is lousy though).

Oh well. Will see how it goes. If you want to tag-along (well, maybe you are still considering getting the iPhone 5 deep down :mrgreen:), do let me know. :beer:

19. Adrian Wong

LOL!!!! I really cannot afford an upgrade. Let me know how it goes though! :D

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

And the iphone5 is launched! :haha: