Iphone 5

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by belikethat, Oct 9, 2011.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

and it'sssss taller! :p

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

With the 5th row of icons... OMG!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, to be fair, Note 2 was just as predictable and boring as iPhone 5's.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Pre-orders sold out too.

If you ask me, nothing spectacular.. but because lots of people are locked into their ecosystem, there will be plenty of sales. I'm skipping this one though. Not enough improvements to warrant a new phone.

5. Adrian Wong

I'm a little concerned about the lack of controls at the Foxconn end though. Although Apple has promised to improve conditions at their partner factories, it looks like Foxconn has continued to "bypass" those rules by recruiting students as interns, with or without Apple's knowledge.

Take a look - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/t...forced-student-labor-to-make-iphones.html?hpw

6. Chai

There are actually tons of new iPhone users, so I'm not too sure about that, which is why the new generation always have more buyers than the previous generation. Is iOS such a strong ecosystem other than the availability of apps?

Well, personally, I would still switch to a new platform if they offer more than what Android does.

7. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

If it wasn't for my iPhone 4's appalling battery life, I would not even bother with the iPhone 5. I really hate how the back cover of the iPhone 5 looks now. :wall: :boohoo:

In comparison to Note 1 - Jelly Bean, 0.5" Screen size increase, 24% battery capacity increase, Curvier exterior. It was love at first sight for me. But really, I think for the life of me; I would never use the stylus at all. :haha:

Ecosystem is not the only thing going for iOS.

The keyboard autocorrect feature is best-in-class. I can actually type more or less gibberish and iOS can somehow know what words I'm typing, and the functionality is a tad better than Android (I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S3 as comparison). However, to the S3's benefit, there's SWYPE input.

The camera in the S3 still lacks touch-to-expose function is a really neat function that started in iOS with the iPhone 3GS.

Also, though I have not fully tested this theory - the iPhone 4's signal reconnection (like if you enter a no-signal area such as an elevator, and come back out) is much faster than the S3 (which can sometimes take ages so to speak).

Actually, the killer feature of the S3 is the notification light ala blackberry-style. The Galaxy Nexus has the notification light too, but the delay between blinks is too long to be functional - like you need to keep staring for some time to see if it blinks. :haha:

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The ecosystem of the iPhone is beyond just the apps and also beyond just the iPhone. It really shows when you have multiple devices from Apple, such as the iPad, iPhone/iPod touch, MacBook/iMac and the Apple TV. Sure you'd spend quite a fair bit being in this ecosystem, but the seamlessness of the underlying connectivity between these devices is pretty amazing. And with the apps leveraging on these APIs and seamless interconnectivity is getting more interesting by the day.

Can you do the same with the PC/Linux/Android platform? Sure, but it takes a bit of effort to get them to work. Think XBMC + Windows + NAS configs + TV connectivity. To us, this is simple. To the non-techie, they probably go "Wwhat???" just at the mention of XMBC.

Apple TV + iOS + AirPlay is super simple, even my parents (yes, both dad and my non-techie mum!) gets it. The underlying Bonjour networking just works wonders what apps leverage it well. She could easily play her PPS shows over on the TV with AirPlay!

9. Chai

Well, like I said, the improvements are predictable. 0.5" improvement? I thought the old one is already 5.3"? Battery size, processor speed, Jelly Bean were all predictable improvements. That doesn't make it a bad phone an anyway, just boring.

Because it's Android, you can install many different keyboard apps. If you prefer typing instead of swyping, you can try something like SwiftKey which probably is closer to iOS's keyboard based on your description above.

Notification light is pretty standard on Android phones. Most, if not all Samsung, HTC have them.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  10. Chai

Thanks for bringing up all that. You see a pattern? You need to purchase ALL APPLE products to benefit all that. Personally, I wouldn't purchase all Apple products just to get the benefit total integration, hate Apple or not. Apple is not superior in every devices they make.

Another important factor is, how many Apple owners have all the devices you stated above? iPhone and iPad are probably what they own most. How many of them knows about the ecosystem beyond iTune? I do admit I don't know anything at all and I'm sure many Apple owners would probably know as little as I do.

What makes Apple so attractive to you is exactly what detracts me completely. Flexibility.

Like I said above, ecosystem is not primarily the reason why iPhone is selling so well. Tons of users are just owning single Apple devices, and many of them are new users still.

11. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Actually I would defer that, a non techie jane and joe would not care if they have to buy the whole eco system to get the benifits. If a product works why would thay want to switch brands? why change? I know people who have been quite techie went apple route just because they want it to just work. And new user will buy into the eco systems if it works for them.

Apple won the portable music player market not just because they had the coolest player around (i think back then there were plenty of better players out there), they won it because they created the whole eco system with Itunes and to be able to buy songs for 99 cents. You are right Apple is not superior in every devices they make, but as a whole eco system they are superior. Which other are trying to copy.

Same thing MS is trying to create now with X-box live, and in some way Android is as well.

FYI I'm not really fan of apple, you have no idea the nightmares is to support when the whole managment teams uses Iphone/Ipad in a MS working environment :p

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. Chai

Well, I did not say that Apple's ecosystem does not work, nor did I say it was bad in anyway.

The Apple ecosystem is not the only reason why iPhone and iPads are selling so well. There are tons of new buyers without the knowledge, they are buying just because everyone has one, take your management team as an example.

I do know tons of techies who knows what they want and what Apple devices can do for them, TechARP has tons of them.

There are also many things that Android is capable of doing, but not on the iOS, without jailbreaking anyway. Things like USB-OTG, and the limited BT device support. These are the things Apple is crippling their iDevices on purpose.

13. Adrian Wong

I have to disagree on one fact - autocorrect. Apple's autocorrect is horrendous. That's why there are so many funny autocorrect jokes online. It's especially bad if you have fat thumbs like me. I have to retype my messages all the time because autocorrect gives me all kinds of funny shit.. LOL!

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The other day I saw a girl posted on FB saying Android not stable, better choose iPhone5. I was like huh? :faint: :eh: :boohoo:

Woi!!! Which part not stable la? :doh:

I've been using S3 for 3 months now and I love it. Though the apps are inferior to the ones in AppStore (quantity and quality), my iPhone friend warned me about this before I got my S3, but it's good enough for me. I'll only change to an iPhone when it can beam out keyboard or hologram. :mrgreen:

S3... I lap u!!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ohh... and I don't think I can live without Swype. Typing with 1 or 2 hands feel so ermm... yesterday... :lol:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. Adrian Wong

Why can't we have Swype on iOS??? :wall: :wall:

16. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I guess we can both agree on that, but I never said that iphone eco systems is the only reason everyone is buying iphone, I dun think anyone here says that. And you are porbably right that people are buying just because everyone has one. But it is a strong reason for someone to have an Ipad or a Mac to get an Iphone. Average Joe would say hey I buy songs on my itune for my ipod so I just get an iphone and be done with it.

As i stated b4 Ipod won mainly because of the eco system it created. It's the 'complete package' that won the MP3s players market from Zens and Zunes and the Walkmans (ok Steve's god mode did help), and Apple used that as an stepping stone to get into the phone business. And the 'eco systems' is what everyone are trying to sell regardless the platform cause if you manage to sell the system, then you will tie them down with what ever new products you will sell as long as it's part of the system.

What you dislike as a system doesn't everyone would concur with you. Sometimes people just wants things to just work, not how many extra features or flexibility which is irrelevant to them. Like I just want a car to get we from A to B, I dun need to have a manual gear or swap engines or tyres.

17. Chai

Been using swype since Windows Mobile. :mrgreen:

18. Adrian Wong

I don't think people actually join a platform because of the ecosystem per se. They may take up Apple iPhones because they like the design, or the ease of use, or brag factor, or whatever...

It is the ecosystem that keeps them "trapped". The more they invest in apps, the more they feel they have to continue with the platform, especially if they can use the same apps across other devices. This includes free or integrated apps like iMessage or FaceTime which allow free messaging or free video calls.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

average users don't give a shit about ecosystem. geeks and nerds do.

average users have enough stress to deal with in their day to day lives that they just don't care about "smartphone ecosystem".

20. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Lots of iNerds in line this morning @ the local Apple Store. I understand the "newness" of the phone, but not the urge to stand in queue for hours. :nuts: