Adrian's Rojak Pot (Tech ARP) 10th Birthday?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ishtim, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Am I dreaming this??? Shouldn't there be chatter about a big 10 year celebration? :think: :arp:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow!! Has it really been 10 years already??? :shock:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

This site I think 10 years... if including the previous site, I think 14-15 years already? :mrgreen: :haha:

4. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Time for BBQ BIG TIME!!!!

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This Forum is definitely around 10 years old! Look at my registration date!

<--

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

What, I've been on this forum for almost 10 years? :think: I feel old..

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You need moar posts! :p

8. Adrian Wong

I think the BBQ is out this year.. I've just started renovating the house I bought 2 years ago, so it's going to take a lot of my time. But once it's up early next year - DEFINITELY!! :dance:

PS. On that note, I must post up floor plans of the place. Need some advice from you guys about the placement of LAN cables and other nerdy stuff! :D

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That 10th Anniversary was in 2008, if I'm not mistaken. The forums here are 10 years old. :)

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Wow... it's been that long huh? :D I can't even remember my first article on Rojakpot anymore!

Oh and the cabling, make sure you use the latest cat7a cables! :D 100GB/s baby!

11. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! I'll bet they are super duper expensive too! :D

Jason thinks I should do away with cables though... and go full WiFi only.

12. Chai

Extremely bad idea. Wifi sucks. Even 100Mbps LAN is much better than any Wifi at any speed. In fact, I couldn't even stand 100Mbps that I have to go climb up to 'attic' to rewire a proper Cat6 which is good for 10Gbps, but I don't think we are going to need that anytime soon unless we are getting really cheap and fast SSDs.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I still have a half a box/spool of CAT6 cables. I love transferring files to my homeserver. :)

Yeah wireless is still slow compared to a good cable connection. It's a bit better with wireless N.

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

WiFi is fine if you are doing websufing, but if you're transfering data between internal network, cable beats wifi-N.

I don't know about you, but I know for my laptops that have Intel wifi cards, In order to get 300Mbps speed (channel bonding), I need to use 5Ghz channel.
    Internet speedtest even show I have poorer download speed compared to my 2.4Ghz 150Mbps Wireless-N, and I'm couple of feet from the router. I was the only 5Ghz channel in the neighborhood.

100Mbps LAN still beats my 300Mbps Wireless-N when it comes to file transfer.

15. Chai

Don't wireless connection may break for unknown reasons. Imagine streaming contents and Wifi connection drops.

16. Adrian Wong

Learning from your experience, Chai, I will most likely have to wire two cables per room. That's a lot of cable. LOL!

But I think CAT6E cables should do. None of my current routers support anything more than Gigabit LAN. In fact, the standard Thomson router provided by Maxis supports only 100 Mbps!

17. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

But since the cabling is permanent, you might as well get it up to Cat 6E.

If I have the choice of laying down the infrastructure, I'll put 1 Lan point in every room of the house, then each connected to a wifi router which one obviously is the master router and gateway, and the rest working as WiFi repeaters. All running dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11n. Most devices will be wireless for the freedom to move, and the rest of the 'permanent' devices like NAS, TV Media players, etc will be wired up.

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, definitely CAT6E. Just one LAN point? Cause Chai "lost" one of his LAN points in his room. Luckily, he had a second, spare LAN point. LOL!

A repeater in each room might be overkill. My house isn't really that big. I think about 1200 sf per floor? I will have to get the plans posted soon.

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

If you build conduits in the wall (if you go that route anyways), it shouldn't be too big of a problem to fish a replacement cable if it goes bad.

And I agree, I would lay the best cable I could - which was cat 6 for me at the time.

20. Chai

I had a LAN cable in the conduit originally, but it was accidentally destroyed when we try to mount a wall mounted cabinet while drilling...

Then we re-wire a second LAN cable which was supposedly a Cat5e cable, but it was only capable of 100Mbps... So we have to re-wire AGAIN this time using AMP Cat6 cable. So I have wires flying around since it is impossible to go thru the tiny conduit.