Adrian's Rojak Pot (Tech ARP) 10th Birthday?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ishtim, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Here the conduits burried into the walls sometimes with twist and turn, so once burried it's impossible to take it out. Best practise is to pull 2 lines with 1 as backup. I made a mistake pulling only 1 line to the TV. I thought that time I'll just put a switch if I need to, never tought Unifi TV needs a dedicated line for the VLAN, even with 2 lines in my room I feel like having more. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Another regret was that I should have set up a mini rack mount high up at the corner of a wall instead of having 3~4 equipment, routers, swtiches, modems lying on the table with cables dangling all over the place.

Most importantly I was not around when the renovations took place, I couldn't make changes when I saw the problems.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

you can always have another switch at each room if you need more that one LAN connection.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, that's why I have a Gb switch in my room. :mrgreen:

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Never use wifi for streaming! :hand:

I have switches everywhere. Forgot to plan the networking of cables when the house was under construction. Ended up laying wire here and there and to downstairs, to the master bedroom, to my dad's room and to the xAstro which needs Internet connection in the living room.

And yeah... it's ugly. :nuts: :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. peaz

Cool. Gb ethernet connection is nice indeed, but it's still no where near where I expected it to be. Also, it seems that it's important to get the right switches. I found my 'now bricked' Buffalo Gb router to be much worse than my E4200...

Anyways. Nowadays, I think even TP-Link routers works pretty good. Cheap too. And the latest models looks pretty decent as well.

6. Chai

As long as I can get faster speed than 10MB/sec transfer cap on 100Mbps, I'm more than happy since I don't have so many SSDs in my house to utilise the large bandwidth, and for streaming media, it is more than sufficient to stream BD contents if needed.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! How did we get from discussing Tech ARP's 10th birthday to network cables and WiFi streaming?? LOL!!!!

Installing a switch in each room isn't the issue, other than the fact it uses some power. The problem is if the single LAN connection gets cut somehow, that's it.. for that room anyway.

I originally planned to keep the networking stuff in the store room downstairs, together with all the electrical stuff but on second thought - that's just not very smart at all... especially since Maxis' Thomson router keeps hanging. I don't want to run down just to restart it! :D

8. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Hahaha!!! We always get off topic here don't we? After all this time....:lol:

9. Chai

Don't blame us, you started it first! :haha:

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

+Like! :haha:

11. peaz

LOL! Absolutely true on Da Boss going OOT first! :D

Anyways. What about Powerline Ethernet? They go up to about a theoretical 200Mbps these days. If your power cables are all new, the noise level should be relatively low and the throughput should be pretty ok.

I've used one in my 4+ year old condo in PJ, and I get about roughly 50-60Mbps speed from a 100Mbps unit without a built in noise filter, roughly 2 rooms length of electrical cabling.

Newer models with built-in noise filters and A/C pass through should work much better. Only downside, it's relatively expensive today...

12. Chai

Yeah, powerline is still much better than wifi IMO, in terms of reliability. Definitely worth considering.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Wait this was a birthday thread? Haha!

14. Chai

Maybe we can just go find a restaurant and have a dinner, just without the BBQ. :haha:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :thumb: :thumb:

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

been using powerline since 2007. They tend to get quite unstable after a year or two. have replaced two pairs so far. currently on my 3rd pair. first was an aztech, second was dlink. am still using dlink now. It could be due to the heat generated by the chipset. they get very hot!! do you have similar problem?

17. peaz

I find the dlink one to be sub-par in quality... Maybe just go for TP-Link. Cheap and probably work just as well.

Psy: Yup. Still a birthday thread. Haven't you notice that in all of our gatherings, all we talk about is tech anyway? :p

18. Adrian Wong

LO!!! I may have started it but you guys continued!! :D

19. Adrian Wong

Good idea!! :D

Although it would still be nice to do another BBQ. :D

20. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member