My House Renovation Project

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

2. yorker

yorker Newbie

with money .. all is possible.. lolz... else..put a curtain there, or non glossy/matt screen then u wont see ur reflection:)

3. Adrian Wong

Well, money is not something I have a lot of... so I will probably just live with it. Some of the rules are just impossible to deal with.

For example, two of my rooms have doors facing each other. That's apparently bad, but not as bad as the original design where not only those two doors faced each other... but there's a third row AND a toilet bowl in the same alignment!!! Imagine that - three doors in a row with a toilet bowl at the end... :nuts:

4. yorker

yorker Newbie

to believe or not to believe.. lolz..

if not then a curtain or blind to so call block it. or put a pat kua mirror? lolz...

b.t.w are u putting a ventilator fan in ur bathroom?

5. Adrian Wong

That will not look nice, I think... Anyway, I'm only going to adjust as far as aesthetics allow. It's just impossible to change everything according to what proper fengshui demands. To be frank, there isn't any scientific basis for fengshui, AFAIK... LOL!

Yes, I'm a fervent believer in ventilation! I reckon my house will have at least 5 ventilation fans, with at least one passive ventilation for the dry kitchen. I should show you my design. Let me see if I can find it....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. yorker

yorker Newbie

thanks!

seems there are developers who make bathrooms with no ventilation hole in the ceiling nowadays. all the air is trapped in the bathroom. u can't leave the window open whole day because ur alarm is attached there. and the windows are the plug typed. opening it is really inviting thieves coz its so obvious that 1 window is open. else a fixed shutter or ventilator hole or fan is needed.. the things we need to think!

7. Adrian Wong

If the bathroom is on the first floor, then you can simply cut a hole and install a ceiling ventilator which will vent up into the roof. But it would be advisable to then ventilate the roof, otherwise, there will be an accumulation of moisture.

In my case, my roof has a short side wall next to the skylight because the roof extends beyond the skylight. So I can put a small duct there to passively ventilate the roof.

If you don't have a side wall in your roof to do that, then you may have to install a ventilation tile or two - it looks like a mini chimney with a mini-roof (to prevent water from entering the ventilation hole).

If the bathroom is on the ground floor, then it really depends if you have the ceiling clearance for a ceiling-mounted exhaust fan. If not, then you will have to cut a hole in the wall or a window of the toilet to fit an exhaust fan.

I'm planning to connect two exhaust fans to a single outlet. Otherwise, the back of the house will be full of exhaust fan caps!

---------------------------

Anyway, check out the design I did for the dry kitchen. Okay, the diagram doesn't do it justice since my ID got lazy and only "designed" it for the fridge. It's actually supposed to cover the fridge, the microwave and the oven - all "hot" items.

Basically, the cabinets above those items will have the rear half walled up with plywood/laminate. This is allows the hot air to flow upwards and accumulate there.

The top of the cabinet will then be sealed to a large plastic pipe which is tilted so that the hot air will passively vent itself out the house.

My ID drew it so that the pipe is vertical but that's not supposed to be the case. The pipe should be horizontal with a large opening cut to match the width of the cabinets encompassing the fridge, microwave and oven.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  8. Adrian Wong

BTW, yorker, have you done any searches or enquiries about curtains and blinds? We just came back from Baagus.. and they are pretty pricey.

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL, I have a TV in front of my bed for quite awhile, and I've never able to see my own reflection...

10. Adrian Wong

I think they mean it symbolically but I'm not going to be overly concerned about it. There are limits to how much you can "fengshui-fy" your house. LOL!

Just imagine this. The original owner of the house is a big believer in fengshui and to meet requirements, he made the kitchen PINK. Yes, the table top, cabinets, etc were all PINK in colour. Shocking, I know... :haha:

11. yorker

yorker Newbie

I think what Jason uses is good. Didn't look at that aspect yet. Curtains are pricey these days. Cheaper to have material bought and sewed by a seamstress.

Hmm..its weird that they have no chimney going from ceiling to roof for recent house. Old houses have them. I have to look at the showhouse first hahaha

12. Adrian Wong

Yeah, very pricey... I couldn't believe how much they quoted me AFTER the 25% discount. :wall:

I thought of that too but the last time I tried something at Kamdar, it didn't turn out so well. Plus, they cannot make blinds, only curtains... Know any good seamstresses?

What do you mean? Most houses here don't have chimneys what. :D

I think you are referring to the roof chimney tile? You can see it here :

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm doing away with it by cutting a hole in the roof's side wall and installing an exhaust cap so that hot air automatically ventilates out the roof.

13. yorker

yorker Newbie

yeah.. that! lolz... my friends house by SIme Darby does not have that.

14. Adrian Wong

Well, neither does mine because it would not work with the insulation I installed right under the roof tiles! It also wouldn't work if you install zink sheets or other kinds of insulation under the roof tiles.

15. Adrian Wong

BTW, yorker, Jason and I may get the Gateman F100, probably from Korea. I may also get the LG Roboking from there too. If you are interested, we can bulk.

If anyone is going there... let me know!!! Please see if you can help us buy from Korea! :D

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, if you want to follow the feng sui master, then forget about the TV. :mrgreen: That is my point.

17. Adrian Wong

I will follow his advice only if it's reasonable, but I'm not going to bend over backwards and sacrifice aesthetics or practicality to make the house "fengshui-compliant". LOL! :haha: :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

1-2 : Here's an update on the stupid column problem in the dry kitchen. After they plastered the thicker dry kitchen wall, this is what it looks like now.

3-4 : Looks like I'm right - the wall now extends only 4 inches inwards, with the last column extending a further 4 inches.

Attached Files:

19. Adrian Wong

1-3 : This is what the wall looks like from the other side. There was never supposed to be a wall extending into the living area like that. But because the last column cannot be removed, we will have to live with that 1 meter extension into the living area... :wall: :wall:

4 : This is what the house now looks like from the back angle.

Attached Files:

20. Adrian Wong

Here's something I learned today. The bars above and under many windows you see isn't always made of concrete! It's actually made from foam-filled cement casings!

You cannot actually stand on these things but my contractor assured me it's really quite solid and more than good enough for the task - to prevent rain water from flowing onto the windows.

Attached Files: