This sucks....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Falcone, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Woke up 3am cause my NAS was beeping, check the status says the volume has crashed, log files indication most likely is bad sector on my 3TB WD.

Undaunted I took my external Mybook backup hdd to check what is the lastest backup i did. To my horror I cannot see anything in in it. Further checking now I can confirm my backup HDD has failed as well.

Who would have thought to had everything failed at the same time, guess my biggest mistake is I have not check my backup drive for 2 months now.

While I can still access my NAS, copying files from it is a pain, It'll take a week to copy everything out provided no more failure while copying.

Sorry just need to rant. And maybe grab a Seagate.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Wow. Double whammy is the worst.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's weird. Doesn't it also give warning when one of them fails?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Both failed??? That's really bad luck, man... :wall: :wall: :wall:

What recovery methods have you tried so far?

I'm not sure if your experience reflects badly on WD but so far most of the HDDs I have over here are WDs and the only one that failed recently was a WD RE4-GP, ironically.

5. Falcone

Nearly All my HDDs are WD except for my two ext 1TBs Seagate I bought years ago.

I already RMA my 2TB, can't detect at all. The guy at the service center manage to get into SMART, and confirm bad sectors and very sluggish.

Now trying to copy files out from the NAS, Already lost some files, but nothing critical.

This is how it look like on the NAS

Untitled-1.jpg

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Seems like that 3TB WD green doesn't have good reviews as well.

Newegg shows 32% 1-star rating.

7. Falcone

Ha my 2 failures are actually both my latest purchase. Now i'm transferring files back into my old 1.5TB which i replaced with the 3TB.

8. Adrian Wong

Oh, so it's the WD30EZRX, which I actually reviewed 1.5 years ago - Tech ARP - Western Digital Caviar Green (WD30EZRX) 3 TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive Review

The review unit here is still being used in our tests and has not failed yet. But mine is an open setup, so it generally runs cooler than within a case, especially a small enclosure like a NAS unit.

This really sucks, man...

As it so happens, Adrian Tung just reported that one of his NAS drives just started to fail :

It's a RAID 1 setup, so he didn't lose any data :

Dang... if I'm going to get a NAS unit and store any important data, I think I will go for a RAID1 NAS; or just use a single HDD and store only replaceable stuff there.

9. Adrian Wong

Update : It looks like Adrian Tung's failing drive is a WD Green too. Hmm... This doesn't look good for WD at all, does it?

Maybe this is why they introduced the Red series for NAS.

PS. Moving this to the General Hardware section. I was looking for it the other day and couldn't find it there! :D

10. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm, my two drives are always cooking at around 40-44 celsius when I check. Luckily only one is giving problems, can't wait to buy a replacement tomorrow. Feels very vulnerable to be running about for a couple of days with my primary backup and sync server down.

11. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Just picked up a pair of 3tb reds, weeeeee!

12. Falcone

How much u pay for it, considering to buy also

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

rm490 each, from my regular shop in Mid Valley. Also got free hdd storage cases with them.

You can probably get cheaper in LYP though...

( @AdrianWong, misquoted the price on FB, I just checked the receipt )

14. Adrian Wong

When I get my NAS, I'm definitely going to spring for the Reds, instead of the Greens. I'm quite concerned to see so many Greens dying like this.

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

If you're starting fresh, get four of them and setup a RAID5 -- better data integrity and avoids one potential issue with RAID1 configurations: chances that an undetected problem on one drive causes its corrupt data to propagate to the other drive.

16. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Both of my WD Blue drives failed last year... and Black drives are too expensive. So I'm back to Seagate again :lol:

17. Chai

Which Seagate? I have encountered bad records with Seagate in the past. But I guess it is down to luck. Just make sure you have a good backup solution.

18. Adrian Wong

I only have one issue with RAID5 -> MOOLAH! :haha: :haha:

19. Adrian Wong

WD Greens again??? I have a bunch here but they are all running fine so far. The only one that failed was the RE4-GP.

20. Chai

Max uses WD Blue, not Green.

I'm using 1TB and 2TB Green.