Lots of things dying this year...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by atwl77, Feb 19, 2013.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

At a quick glance on this page, we have Falcone's NAS, zy's HTPC..... and here my less-than-2-months-old Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro died during the CNY break in Penang. Worked one night, blank screen the next morning. Bleh.

Already sent it back to Samsung... but not having any high hopes on its reliability when it comes back. I've been hearing of this model, along with Asus Vivo Tabs, dying in a similar way on the tabletpcreview forums.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My wife's Asus Transformer Prime LCD broke after just 3 months. But after replacement, it is working fine so far. "touch wood"

My father's PC had another faulty Asus P8H67-M motherboard. Samsung phones can be pretty unreliable too, as I've already heard a number of problems affecting Note 1 and S3.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The Galaxy S3 "sudden death" problem is well-documented. I think karhoe's S3 got bricked too. Samsung released a firmware update to fix this last month but it's too late for many Galaxy S3 users...

4. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i wish some stuff died on me

last week my mom switch on the tv and everything turn into green..shout me down and 1st thing in my mind oh yes tv dead can buy a new one..come to me 60inch telly!!! switch off switch on everything back to normal..sooo dissapointing..is a samsung plasma tv

then my samsung phone..a galaxy w used since feb 2012 still show no sign of giving up..so bored with it i wana buy a new one but its wasteful buying a new one when the old is not broken :mrgreen:

i wonder why korean product that is said to be crap cant died on my hands :mrgreen:

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Samsung Plasma TV?? I thought it's nice! I longed for anything flat-panel in the living room. Believe me, that 13-year old Sony Wega at my living room ain't giving up! The buttons on the TV has very bad contacts, touching the "Volume Up" button goes to "channel switch", and vice versa. Luckily, the remote is still working, so I won't touch the buttons on it. The colors on the Wega is a bit washed out, however. :whistle: :faint:

My Galaxy Ace is a bit too slow and laggy and the space isn't enough despite I didn't have games on it. I prolly will change it when I go to work later. :)

6. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! Is that plasma TV that bad??? :D

7. Adrian Wong

The Sony CRT TVs do last a long time. I still have two of them running really well - a 34" Trinitron and a 24" Trinitron. :thumb:

8. The_YongGrand

I have another 19" Sony Trinitron. The one with the teletext. Still going strong. With the other two CRTs I have in my home (one is already given away to a charity).:thumb:

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Don't you know, the correct procedure is to pass the old one down to another member of family.

New phone? Old phone goes to wife/sister/brother/kid/mum/dad/etc.

New tablet? same deal.

New TV? Old one goes to bedroom.

:thumb:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I wish I had that much space in my bedroom. I had to look for the smallest 32" LCD that I could find, and it wasn't easy because 32" are usually very low end model with CCFL backlight, and very thick bezel. Every cm counts! :haha:

I don't really see the need to upgrade tablet now, even the first gen iPad is still decent IMO, other than the weight...

11. Adrian Wong

Hahaha... I agree, but I think the buck stops at heavy, clunky CRT TVs! :D

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm that reminds me... I have a 21" to get rid of, somehow....

13. Adrian Wong

Seriously? What are you using it for? Or is it just sitting there?

14. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah, it used to be for the back room when my mum or mum-in-law comes to stay.

Then after a lightning strike, the HDMI ports of my livingroom's 32" died so that got replaced and relegated to back room TV.

So now the 21" has no purpose in life.

15. The_YongGrand

I have a few more CRTs also. They can get annoying especially when they have a high-pitch whine on it. Those old monitors tend to do these. Feels like dumping them but I have personal attachment to it. You can say that I'm a pretty little hoarder. :faint: :whistle:

16. Adrian Wong

Time to get recycled.. or donated! :D

17. Adrian Wong

My parents are the same. They had THREE CRT TVs at home!!! Two downstairs on the same TV cabinet and a smaller one upstairs. When my brother gave them a 42" LCD panel, he insisted that they at least get rid of two of them! :haha:

18. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

WTF my Samsung died again, same symptoms. I give up. I wonder if Acer is any better...

19. Adrian Wong

Samsung what?? Notebook?

20. Adrian Wong

BTW, on top of the 3 TB Western Digital Green hard disk drive dying, I had a 1.5 TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex die on me too. So many things dying... Argghhh....