The Election

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Trinity, May 5, 2013.

1. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I wonder who will win the election.:think:

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I don't know, but I voted for Baltar instead of Adama. I highly suspect Adama is the cylon.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!

Trin, the Malaysian election? It's over now. In fact, I just got back from Penang, where I went to vote.

The National Front (Barisan Nasional) won again.. as expected. Due to the gerrymandering of the electoral districts, they got 60% of the seats for 48% of the vote.

To defeat them, the Opposition (think of them as the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars!) need to win at least 63-65% of the popular vote. An impossible task, I think...

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure he is referring to our Election?

5. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Yeah, I was. I was just reading some news on BBC and CNN, And they were making a big deal about it. Kinda like 'for the first time in 56 years the opposition has a chance to win' so I thought I'd ask about it. I like your analogy to Star Wars!:lol: I like to root for the "underdog" sometimes.:)

6. Adrian Wong

Well, it was a very, very slim chance because most people were rooting for the Opposition. In fact, they received something like 52% of the popular vote.

But because of gerrymandering (mostly), vote-buying and to a lesser extent, the importing of Bangladeshi and Myanmese illegal immigrants to masquerade as Malaysian voters, they managed to win 60% of the seats.

7. Chai

Well, if it wasn't due to gerrymandering, the opposition should/could have won.

Don't quote me, but if I'm not wrong, there were up to 70% of urban voters voted for opposition.

There was a lot of claims about the ballot box rigging, but most of them are not true.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The simple fact is that the rural voters needs to be enlightened. Not branded as stupid. There needs to be a movement to do that. Either that or we start registering ourselves to vote in rural areas and migrate all the votes equally across all the seats. LOL. if we can't change the gerrymandering of the seat constitutions, then we move the voters around.

9. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Actually alot of urban malays backed BN this round, mainly cause by racial tensions, they r affraid of the chinese of the opposition wins.

10. Chai

Well, the results doesn't really show that. PR won a lot more seats in PG and SG.

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I really think it's more of an urban-rural divide than a racial divide. It is obvious from the recent rally in Kelana Jaya that not only the Chinese were throwing their support behind Pakatan Rakyat.

Raja Petra seemed to indicate that most were young Chinese urbanites at the rally but I was there, and I can tell you - there were tons more Malays and many Indians there. Looks like an appropriate proportion of the races at the rally.

I don't think they are cheating via the ballot boxes. They don't really need to. Even the importation of Bangladeshi and Myanmese workers to serve as ghost voters have a limited effect - they can only serve to tide over very tight seats.

The biggest problem is gerrymandering, followed by vote buying. The videos people have uploaded to YouTube and Facebook show so many people selling their votes. Sickening... but I'll bet with you that no action will be taken against them. :wall:

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I'd call this a Malaysian Tsunami!

Everyone are going against rampant corruption! This is what people are fighting against. :)

13. Adrian Wong

What's really embarrassing is how some of our politicians are behaving after they lost. So many of them are acting like sore losers, closing down their service centres after losing and/or ranting at us for not letting them win.... :nuts:

Parti Cinta Malaysia (Love Malaysia Party)'s President, Huan Cheng Guan, for example, actually posted on Facebook, “Lu orang mati, lu punya pasai. Jangan cari saya lagi (If you people die, that is your business. Don’t come looking for me again).” :nuts: :nuts:

Disclosure : When I went to vote, he was there to shake our hands. He kept telling us to vote for no. 3 (that's him!) on the ballot. LOL!

Even those who won immediately showed their "evil side"... Seriously, can't you just let us "ease" into it??? :snooty:

For example, the first official act Ahmad bin Said, who was re-elected as the Menteri Besar (Chief Minister) of Terengganu, did was to announce that he was going to punish residents of areas where his party (UMNO) lost by not assigning any development officers to their areas, or develop any affordable housing there. :naughty:

14. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

These people ran out of excuses to say. They are losers pretending to be winners. :haha:

By that time, they should know why they lose the seats.:rolleyes:

15. Adrian Wong

I honestly doubt it. They seem to feel like we owe it to them to vote them back to power. :nuts:

Even if they later change their tune, I think we, the people, must remember what they have just said, so soon after losing or winning the election, so we know exactly what kind of person they really are.

It is really quite enlightening to see the faux pas these politicians commit. :mrgreen: