Lots of things dying this year...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by atwl77, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Recently, my wifes Powershot S95 died too, but still under warranty.

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

The ATIV Smart PC Pro. Apparently video ribbon cable again. Stupid design flaw, methinks.

3. Chai

Wow, isn't that quite new?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. Ribbon cables are usually very sturdy... After all, they are flexible...

5. Chai

From my experience, that is not true. Flex cable are the major culprit for many faulty devices.

The recent Blackberry that I have repaired was due to faulty flex cable.

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I can't say I have had a flex cable fail on me yet. But shit happens. Look at the three HDDs that failed on me recently. Hardly used and yet, they are dead... :wall:

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

It depends on how cramped the interior of the device is. I've had a total of 3 ribbon cable failures that I can remember: one notebook hard disk data cable, and twice this Samsung. All cramped interiors.

8. Adrian Wong

Could be the heat, you think? From the cramped interior. :think:

9. Chai

Usually faulty flex cables are due to too much movement, like sliding phone, or the LCD panel on a laptop.

I'm not sure about "permanent" flex cable like on a hard disk.

10. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I think it's more from pressure (cramped interior gets pressed more easily when you pick it up, unless it's in a solid carbon fibre frame).

11. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

F***king great my 3TB is still not back yet now my 1TB Black is having bad sectors.

Shit it's my boot HDD, now i really need to get a HDD, maybe SSD. Any recommendations?

12. Adrian Wong

Since SSDs are pretty cheap these days, I would go with a 256 GB SSD for a boot drive, but you will still need a 1 TB drive for your data.

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah, SSD is the way to go for boot drive; depending on the amount of programs you install, 128-256gb should be a good number.

Also, since you suddenly have so many HDD dying in such a short time, I wonder if you should do a checkup for potential secondary issues? Heat, electrical surge, etc that may kill HDDs?

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah... I would take a good hard look at that PSU, for example. I'm considering replacing the Corsair PSU we are using for the testbed since two test HDDs have "died" for no good reason.

15. Falcone

The thing is the 3TB is on my NAS, the 2TB is a portable with external power which are hardly used, the 1TB is from my main pc with UPS. And most are bad sectors, 1 is motor issue.:wall: :wall: :wall:

And all my older generations HDD are fine, i have 2 500GBs, 2 1TBs and 2 1.5TBs which i bought 3~5 years ago no issue.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  16. Adrian Wong

Bad sectors isn't so bad. At least there is warning... so you can transfer your data out.

When my three HDDs died, there was no warning. One minute they were working, the next - dead. Two WD desktop drives, one Seagate portable drive. :wall:

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

samsung 840 pro! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. Falcone

I want also, not available in malaysia ler, end up getting plextor M5S.

Side note: When I first installed Windows 8 on the SSD, weird things happened, while the SSD has the Boot partition, the boot system files went to my second HDD making the second HDD active, while this is not an issue at first it became an issue when I try to replace the second HDD, if i force installed it by removing the second HDD I get this error 'Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate existing...'.

It took me 3 attempts and some googling before I finally figure it out, I had a Cardreader with a CF card inside, that was the cause. Why it happened I have no idea. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Thought I share this so that no one else needs to loose more hair on this.

Also the links for those that had the Windows 8 upgrade but want to do clean install.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  19. Chai

I usually plug as little HDD/devices as possible to avoid mistakes like formatting the wrong HDD... :shifty:

20. Adrian Wong

That is a really weird problem... :eh:

Why would Windows 8 install the boot system files elsewhere when you have already selected the SSD as the boot drive?