Lots of things dying this year...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by atwl77, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

That's what i thought, so i did it again twice.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

And it happened twice again?? Sounds like a bug... :doh:

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Bug or no bug, seems to be a common problem.

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Months ago my HDD behaved very erratically. It went missing in My Computer all of a sudden, and then came back again. I heard no spinning sound of the HDD, I suspected the motor died or something.

And my thesis WAS inside that one... and when the HDD is running I quickly copied it to another place. Whew! :faint:

Meanwhile, I've been begging for the CRT in my living room to "decomission itself". Nope, it wouldn't. That Sony Wega is some tough beast. I want to put an Xbox360 or PS3 with it, but not with a blurry 480i screen. :wall:

Strangely, I really like a smaller CRT in my bedroom. Maybe because I'm old school, or I like the glow emanating from the screen when the room is dark.

5. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That's really odd. It could be a power supply or power cable issue. Try switching to different power and SATA cables.

Haha.. The old Sony WEGA CRT TVs are very reliable. I still have a 34" WEGA running. :D

6. The_YongGrand

I've changed the cables and the SATA ones. Even that, the drive kept missing on some occasions. The last thing I hear is the sound of the drive shutting down, despite HDD Standbys are turned off.

The new replacement doesn't do all these, so I suspected the old drive is broken.

My 29" Wega isn't the ones with the DVI. The 480p on older TVs looks muddy and horrible on anything with XBox360 or PS3. :haha: :wall:

7. Adrian Wong

Time to change your HDD then. Better do it quickly, or move all the important data off first. :think:

I don't think mine had DVI either. At least, I don't recall using it. Only used the analog component or composite inputs.

8. The_YongGrand

I did already. Whew, I backed up the thesis alongside with the results. Made multiple copies - and even stowed it into my supervisor's PC. Dying HDDs can be very nasty! :faint:

THe worst part is, that broken HDD's manufacture date is: "28 Jul 2007". That's so short lived! Did they intend to make stuff to commit suicide so that we buy more of it? :faint:

We bought the Wega in early 2000, when flat screen CRT was some good stuff. Now, it's useless. No one even wants to take it or something. I planned to ruin it by magnet or anything else found in the home, but it's known that my father was an experienced TV repair technician (part time basis). So, yeah. I can't even lie. He knows the CRT best. :whistle:

In the end, I would just wait for it to be broke, or I keep pestering him to change into a cheap LED. Seriously, the colours on the screen are washed out already and has sporadic colour changing behaviour. :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

Eh, 6+ years is not bad, if you have been running it on a daily basis or even 24/7. :D

LOL! Time to upgrade to an LCD TV!

10. The_YongGrand

I feel that it's still too short-lived. I didn't even 24/7 on this poor thing! :haha:

Meanwhile, my Samsung SyncMaster 732N couldn't start well. The backlight kept turning off when I turned it on, and only repeated on-off cycles bring it back. Plus, a high pitch whine on the start too (5 seconds). Probably it's dying as well.

The CRT TV? Had to wait until we moved new homes. Hopefully it decomissioned itself or whatever before that. They are tough survivors! :haha: