So who's getting the new Sony fullframes?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by atwl77, Oct 16, 2013.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

The price is very reasonable for fullframe ILC, I'm probably going to sell my two Fuji X cameras and get the A7r when it is released.

Not going to bother with their FE lenses though, just get an adapter and shoot with M-mount lenses.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The first thing when I think of is the lens lineup. The main reason why Canon and Nikon are doing so well is because of their lenses. Not sure if I would venture into another system.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wah.. to abandon all my lenses... :(

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah the initial lens lineup sucks and is no way going to replace any established system. But being a small pocketable fullframe camera makes it potentially a great pocket/secondary camera to carry around when you don't want to lug around heavier gear.

5. Chai

But IMO, having a full frame camera means much better lens is required, just like Canon and Nikon DSLR. So lens lineup is equally important.

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

The thing about Sony is that they will try anything to stay competitive, that maybe good but also means you don't exactly what will happen to the system u bought into.

So now they have another lense type, Fullframe E mount. Yet another system, eating into their R&D. So what now for the A mount, their SLT system.

Think I'll stick with Nikon or Canon.

I do like them being innovative, but seems to me they lag directions.

And rumours has it, Nikon has something interesting comming.

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm, preliminary reports say that there will be corner performance issues on M lenses, despite the A7R sensor's offset microlenses and gapless design, and it is uncertain whether Sony will provide lens corrections similar to Fuji and Leica.

8. Adrian Wong

I haven't been keeping updates on Nikon. What kind of rumour? :think:

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Retro FM2-like fullframe camera.

10. Chai

A 'simplified' fullframe camera, no video, speed is not the main priority. Something like a digital Nikon FM2.

11. Adrian Wong

Ahhh.... but I guess it will mean a new mount and range of lenses?

12. Chai

FM2 was an affordable manual F mount SLR. So if they are trying to emulate that, maybe it will be a simplified D600 without video.

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

14. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

So the new Df is finally announced. Hmm... a bit mixed about it.

On one hand, love the look of the silver model.

On the other hand...
    1) no manual focus aids?
    2) crazy price
    3) what's with the PSAM mode dial

15. Chai

Yeah, definitely not looking forward to it.

It is way too expensive for the specs, D4 sensor with D600 focusing. It is also too 'advanced' for a retro camera. Split screen focus is a must, or at least an option. Good luck trying to use those classic non-AI and AI lenses which they boast so much about. Top LCD is redundant. And it's too big.

I think it's hard to get rid of the PASM dial, but they could have used a "Mode" button like the pro-Nikon series. Not very retro, but definitely better than having a PASM dial.