SMS Spam

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by stopspammers, Oct 16, 2013.

1. stopspammers

stopspammers Newbie

Hello everyone,

I represent an organization that is currently working with the major carriers in Malaysia such as Celcom, DIGi, and Maxis to try and take control of the SMS spam environment.

And now, as a part of my ongoing research efforts, I'd like to ask for the community's help! I am currently trying to gather as many spam SMS messages as possible, and if you're willing to help I can offer each of you an RM10 topup for every three spam SMS messages you send to me.

If you're interested, please forward spam SMS messages to 013 631 3069. Each message must be prefixed with the text "SMS SPAM" so that I know where the messages are coming from. Example:

Please also send a follow up text that contains the number you received the message from; you can also add the number to the end or beginning of the text as long as there is enough room for it.

Also I'm working on a Web form and will update this post with the URL when it's up and running, which might make it easier to submit this information.

Thank you everyone in advance for your help and I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Interesting. Hope you are for real. Could you post more information about your organisation?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, and let us know how it will actually help combat spam?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think this is a spam... lol

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

5. peaz

I think so too. But have to give him a chance right? LOL!

6. Chai

Well, like what Adrian said, how do you combat the spam by forwarding them? I don't think you can see the source doing that.

7. Adrian Wong

That's what I wanted to know. Because what they want us to forward provides no way for them to identify who the sender is.

The information that they want us to send can only be used to just collate how often a particular spam message occurs in the population. It's useful for research purposes, I guess... but can also be used by spammers to determine how successful their campaigns have been.

8. Chai

I believe this activity should be done by telco themselves, not third party.

9. Adrian Wong

I think it's in the telco's self-interest not to clamp down on these spammers. In fact, they make a nice profit from these spamming activities... :D

10. peaz

I'm not sure if Malaysia has already gazetted the bill, but in a lot of countries, there is now a no-call register which all call out marketing agencies need to check against to make sure anyone registered there is taken out of their list, failing which would be an offence.

11. Chai

That's another way, but government will have to support this I guess.

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

13. Adrian Wong

Malaysia does not have such a bill yet. But Singapore's "Do Not Call" bill should start next year, I think.

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's what "Do Not Call" lists are for.

Do they really work - blocking numbers? I think if they hide their numbers, you can't really block them, right?

15. peaz

Yup. They are in the process of building the system now.

16. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Just block all anonymous numbers... though such numbers seem to be extremely rare these days, the telemarketers are wisening up.

17. Adrian Wong

I don't think it will solve this problem entirely but Malaysia should really develop such a list as well.

18. Adrian Wong

Well, I can't do that. Sometimes, banks or service providers call me using anonymous numbers.

Actually, quite a few genuine businesses hide their mobile numbers to prevent clients from calling them back on their mobile phones. They want you to call them on their main line but have the flexibility to call you back on their mobile phones.

19. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I remember a long time ago when I was still freelancing, one PC magazine editor was wondering why no one was picking up his calls....

I thought businesses would have wisened up to that by now.

20. Adrian Wong

Well, there's always a demand for hidden numbers. That's why telcos offer such services. Anyone can hide their number, if you pay a price, hehehe...