Sucky Unifi DNS

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by atwl77, Oct 30, 2013.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Been having lots of hostname issues especially with HTTPS, FTP and SVN with default 1.9.1.9 / 202.188.0.133 that Unifi uses, until I manually changed them to 202.188.1.5 / 202.188.0.133.

Any other good and reliable DNS servers to fallback on?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Google's DNS server? I've been using that for a long time. Some sites were 'blocked' by TM's DNS.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I always use Google DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Not only do they seem faster, they don't block certain "sensitive" websites that our government isn't fond of... :wicked:

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I heard that the Youtube is slowing even on Unifi and higher speed Streamyx - could it be the DNS issue as well?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Really? Well, I don't think so. Once your computer gets the DNS translation to the actual IP and you get connected to the website, you shouldn't get slowed down thereafter.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, Youtube is much slower than it used to be, but not related to DNS server.

7. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Oh, I thought it was my snail-paced Streamyx connection. I heard even the ones with the fiber connection have the same problem with youtube.

The buffering mechanism in YouTube became from bad to worse year by year too. :faint: