CPU cooler recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by shenfu, Jan 15, 2014.

1. shenfu

shenfu Newbie

Looking for cooler for Phenom X4 9850, that is as small as possible, and also has quiet fan. Cannot seem to find anything but gargantuan sized coolers, like Noctua, and so on. So far, Gelid CC-BEdition 01-A is the smallest I could find. Surely there are smaller sized ones that can handle the 125w Phenom X4? I want something that will definitely fit a full size tower without crowding RAM (or other components), or impeding air flow. Any ideas?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...even that Gelid doesn't look that small to me.

I don't recommend getting a small cooler since you are using a quad core processor. Other than Gelid, what other choices do you have?

Not all Noctua are huge. Some models like NH-U12S are much smaller.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Have you looked at the Thermalright AXP-200 or the Cooler Master GeminII M4? They are designed for mini-ITX cases but should be able to handle the Phenom X4.

4. shenfu

shenfu Newbie

Not a lot of choices so far. While researching this on Google I found veiled references to coolers for Phenom x4 that were supposedly under 100mm, but nothing specific was given. Any ideas which coolers these could be?