Unifi: Use IPTV LAN4 for general use?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by atwl77, Feb 6, 2014.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Just wondering if this is possible, and if there's any impact.

As we know, port 4 is reserved for the IPTV module because it has some VLAN thingy hardcoded into the router.

My router is upstairs, so I pulled a 20m cable down to the livingroom where the TV is. I wonder if I can stick this cable into a 5-port switch, so the IPTV gets connected to the switch and I have 3 more ports for general use (e.g. perhaps install a second wifi station for better signal quality downstairs).

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nope, that doesn't work. Depends on which router you are using, some allows you to change the VLAN. VLAN 500 is used for data, and VLAN 600 is used for IPTV. It is possible to change the port 4 VLAN 600 for normal use like what I have done.

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Ah that's too bad. Guess I'll need to pull down a second cable, which would be ugly.

4. Chai

Yeah, we have the same problem at home. Not much options. If you want to retain the IPTV, you can use wifi connection, or powerline network adapters.

5. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I really need to pull down a second cable and put a second wifi router here asap. Signal congestion is really crap here, one neighbour somewhere nearby even has two access points already.

At certain periods (i.e. NOW) it gets so bad my speed drops to 5-11 Mbps :shock: .

Luckily there is the Internet to turn to, and I found out fixing my channel width to 20Mhz helps a lot.

Too bad my work laptop doesn't have the hardware to access the 5GHz channel... my other personal laptop is speeding happily on 5Ghz but work, where I need speed the most, is crawling. Past midnight now and 30-60mins to go...... zzzzz...........

6. Chai

Buy a USB 5GHz WIFI adapter for your work laptop?

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

That works as a short term option, but I think it will be more beneficial to get a second high speed router (with several Gigabit ports) going in the livingroom so that other devices will benefit from it.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Or get a 5GHz capable mini PCI wifi card to replace the existing one? It's not that hard to swap it out and it's also easy to find one on eBay.

9. Chai

I bought Asus RT-N66U which works with Unifi out of the box.

peaz's suggestion is good as well, provided if you know how to open up your laptop, usually not so difficult. There's always Youtube...

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Have you tried changing channel? The problem with too many WiFi routers in the same area is that they generally use the same channels. I favour either end of the channel list - either 1 or 13.

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Changing channel does help most of the time. I should send you a screenshot of all the wifi access points at my condo. the list almost reaches the bottom of my screen. 5GHz is the way to go, very few uses that band.

12. Chai

You should only use Channel 1,6,11 due to overlapping channel interference. However, I have more than 10 APs around my house, so it is not possible to isolate that. Only solution is 5GHz. So far, I have not seen any 5GHz around.

Only a geek would use that now. :haha:

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I'm cornered at Channel 1, lots of channels 8-9, 13 broadcasting over the place. There's also some channel 3-4 around, but those are weaker and unimportant. It's one of the neighbour's big, powerful double channel 9 routers that's the biggest concern.

I think I'll go with extra cable+router, and upgrade any device that can be upped to 5GHz. That should solve it.