The Worst (And Simplest) Tech Troubleshooting I've Ever Done

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

User : The PC cannot turn on! We moved it to a new table and now it just won't turn on.

Me : Did you plug in the power cable and turn on the main power?

User : Of course lah... You think I stupid meh?

After 15 minutes of troubleshooting on the phone (which involved asking her to check the fuse, the main power point (and to swap it) as well as the cable at the back of the box)...

Me : I'll come over and check it out.

1.5 hours through hellish traffic from PJ to Sunway, I arrived at their office, popped my head behind the PC to discover that she didn't plug in the power cable.

[​IMG]

All she could say was "I thought I did...". :wall: :wall:

I was in and out of the office in less than 10 minutes... and it took me another 1.5 hours to get back.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, these people are everywhere in Malaysia... They just don't bother to resolve problems on their own.

3. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I think that's not limited to one country in particular, I had my share of those too :)

4. Adrian Wong

The thing is I EXPLICITLY asked her to check the power cable at the BACK of the computer during the phone call. But she claimed it was already plugged in.

The troubleshooting took less than 5 seconds - a few seconds to pull out the case and a second to peek behind.

The solution took 1 second - to plug in the power cable.

I stuck around just to watch it power up to Windows, because I didn't want her to call me back and ask why Windows won't start... only to find that she forgot to plug in her mouse or keyboard and cannot login... :wall:

5. Adrian Wong

I'm sure it's not either... but seriously, that was the stupidest waste of time in my life... :haha:

Oh, to think I can laugh about it now... :haha:

6. Chai

Well, I'm not sure how bad it is over there. IT tech end user support industries are basically dying in many developed countries, including our neighbours, but our executives cannot understand why there's still a need for end user support in Malaysia... So it is quite bad here... :haha:

They even think we are hired to do their Excel work, backup files :nuts:

7. Adrian Wong

EXCEL???? LOL! :haha:

I hope they don't call "tech support" to ask them to do PowerPoint presentations! :D

8. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Unfortunately it is true. I was hired to do one type of job - maintenance for some systems - and what was a favor at a moment (typing a document, doing some table calculation just to speed things up) soon became obligation.

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Nowadays, most people won't learn to troubleshoot on their own. Back in the early days of the PC, we do not know "Tech Support". All is just wild experimentation. Yeah, those were the days. We learned a lot too.

Plus, even college students, as far as I've heard, buy Final Year Projects (a final handiwork before you graduate). Pay the expert to write code (normally some microcontroller code or Visual Basic) and build electronic project (for the Electric and Electronics Engineering students). It happened, actually.

Is sitting down and have a small think an obsolete technology anyway? :faint:

10. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Seems so when you have internet on your side. Just do a search and everything is there, no need to think too much. Sad but true.

11. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

My classic tale is when a user called me early in the morning, saying when she boot up her pc it's making beeping noise.

Grudgingly I went to her workstation only to find she have a file pressing on the numpad enter key. :wall: :wall: :wall:

12. Chai

what about her rack pressing on the space bar 'joke'? :haha:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

13. Adrian Wong

For real??? :shock: :thumb: :thumb:

14. Adrian Wong

If that's real life.. I would like to meet the gal. :)