Watercooling upgrade project

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Chai, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

More than a year ago, I bought a new Corsair 650D casing, hoping to increase space and tidying up the case. But after using it for more than a year, the tubing started to kinked and affected the water flow.

http://forums.techarp.com/lounge/7941-arp-s-new-toy-bragging-corner-541.html#post369941

With a reservoir top on the pump, I can reduce tubing, and also improve performance.

DSC_5103.jpg

It's also time to refurbish this setup. The pump, old reservoir, radiator are easily more than 6 years old, and it is still working fine, just.

Mechanically, the pump is still working fine. Radiator looks fine other than the glossy paint. I used a matt spray paint to renew the look. Some before and after spray.

DSC_5107.jpg DSC_5112.jpg

Swiftech Apogee XT still looks good after 3 years.

DSC_5109.jpg

More to come...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you strip the paint off, or just painted over it?

3. Chai

Just spray over it. The base is still in good condition.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

My setup has been running strong for years. I don't think I've ever had a computer this long... Haha!

5. Chai

This is one of the reason why it's time for maintenance. Look at the amount of dust! :nuts:

IMAG0707.jpg

I masked the fin area during spray as the fin area will be covered by fan anyway, and spraying over the copper fins may affect the heat dissipation, probably not by much.

DSC_5108.jpg

After putting the setup back into my system, I noticed a number of issues. The pump finally stopped working properly (probably due to my fault as I didn't bleed the system well).

After researching online, there's a good aftermarket PCB replacement for my pump called DIYINHK. It was supposed to offer MCP355 performance without much noise increase.

DSC_5115.jpg

This is how the old one looks like.

DSC_5113.jpg DSC_5117.jpg

This is how the new one looks like after soldering.

DSC_5121.jpg

It worked very well, for about an hour... more to come...

6. Adrian Wong

That is a lot of dust! :D

7. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

What radiator is that? What block is that?:think: OK, Apogee XT (same here)

I have recently disassembled all my stuff and went back to air as power supply was flaky... :think:

So do you use the copper additive in the coolant?

8. Chai

It's one of the early Swiftech MCR320 radiator.

I'm using Swiftech HydrX coolant mixture. It's not pretty, but it works.

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i love watercooling setup

do show pic after done refurbishing

10. Chai

Wow... I have actually just completely my build last night, but with a lot of drama!

One of the hose actually shoots out of the waterblock and sprayed the water every where! I tried drying it with hair dryer, wipe with cloth, took out the motherboard and inspected each components carefully, but nothing worked.

Thankfully after 1 whole night of drying, the system started fine in the morning, which is like 30mins before I posted this...

I will take a picture of the complete build once I'm back from work, hopefully.

11. Chai

I took a few nice photos of the setup. But I made another bigger mistake. I tried to tighten the hose by pushing against the processor. Sprung a minor leak, and suddenly the system crashed. It looks like the processor has shorted while I was pressing against the socket, causing the processor to bend. Since then, I couldn't boot up the machine anymore. Let's see what happens in the morning. But it doesn't look good. Looks like Haswell refresh is my only option now. :haha:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  12. Adrian Wong

OMG... was your rig running when that happened?? :shock: :shock:

13. Adrian Wong

ANOTHER leak??? :shock: :shock:

14. Chai

Leak didn't cause the damage. It was due to processor short circuit in the socket. Yup it was still running during the short.

15. Adrian Wong

Any luck today?

The processor and the motherboard should have short circuit protection. If you dry them properly and start them up again, they should work.

16. Chai

Nope, it wasn't the water. I was basically shorting the processor pins by pushing the processor against the socket really hard while it was running because I was trying to push the hose in. This causes the board to flex until it shorted the pins. I will take a photo of a slightly burnt processor one I get it running again.

17. Chai

I finally bought the new z97 motherboard! One of the first few owners in Malaysia according to one of the low yat shops. Will post pics later.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

18. Chai

I started with repairing the pump, and ended up wasting a lot of money for nothing in the end.

These are supposedly high quality replacement for the old and complicated PCB.
    DSC_5115.jpg DSC_5121.jpg DSC_5127.jpg

This is the stock PCB.
    DSC_5117.jpg

But both ended up burning at the solder joint. I have no idea what happened and what causes it. The seller said it is due to overvolted 12V from the PSU. But my system has been running fine for over 3 years with the current Corsair TX650.
    DSC_5179.jpg DSC_5180.jpg

This is one of my saddest repair job at that point...

19. Chai

After giving up repairing the old MCP350, I looked for the next best option, MCP35X. It is PWM speed control, which is perfect for my quest for quiet water cooling setup.

It is a quality product, but to get it shipping from US, probably cost like an atomic bomb.

Attached Files:

20. Adrian Wong

Since it's only one item I guess you have no option. If you have a few items, I think there are companies that combine your shipments for a cheaper delivery cost to Singapore. I can always get a relative to collect it for you for forwarding to Malaysia.