Do you buy your smartphones with a contract?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Adrian Wong, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Once you start using it, you will know what I mean. Even till today, 3G coverage is average at best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahaha i cant believe you guys are arguing over LTE and 3G.

Friends, it's a phone. 5mbps, 10mbps or 100mbps, they don't make any difference. that's what "mobile" app is all about right, optimized data set.

besides, whats the point of getting 50mbps when the users are only allocated 2/5/10gb per month? :shifty:

i would rather have a reliable 1mbps connection than 50mbps klang only speed and dialup grade in the rest of the country.

3. Chai

Exactly. Lte is not important to me at all. All it does is sucks battery like a baby..... And it doesn't benefit phone apps that much. Well you have to use it to understand it I guess...

Battery life is far more important IMO. The popularity of mi powerbank is great enough, but humans are stupid enough to sacrifice battery life for stupid reasons...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haven't been on LTE yet, but I'm not worried if I don't get it as 3G is fast enough. Besides, I'm usually in WiFi coverage. :D

I'm just surprised that Jenny's phone isn't on LTE. I always assumed that Maxis would enable LTE for all their plans but I was obviously wrong.

That said, I cannot stand EDGE. I wonder how I survived on EDGE last time. :mrgreen:

BTW, ZuePhok, the good news is at least they are no longer charging for data overages! It's crazy what they were charging in the past. Now, all we have to do once we hit the quota is live on EDGE speeds.

5. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

does it switch automatically?

One thing I don't like about modern mobile/web apps is that they are very chatty. notification, telemetry data, analytic data, trackers, experimental feature and log every error mentality.

if twitter was built to deliver tweets only.. 140 characters don't take up a lot of bandwidth.

btw, this thread has made me to check my 4G setting. It's off and I didnt even realise that for so long. :shifty:

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I just switched to the iPhone 6, and yes, it's on LTE because I'm on the iValue 1 (RM 100 x 24 months) plan. Jenny is on the SurfMore 30 plan and is still on 3G.

I can't tell (yet) how much power LTE sucks over 3G because I'm usually hooked up to WiFi.

Well, we are in the Big Data age. That means collecting every bit of data, no matter how innocuous it may be! :haha:

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Usually i just get my phone without plans, cause currently plan is to good to let go :lol: As for regarding LTE/3G, I notice battery life is better when in LTE network....

8. Adrian Wong

What plan is that?

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I'm on Digi Ambassador line.

10. Adrian Wong

No wonder! :mrgreen:

What's the offer you got from them?

BTW, how's their line and service?

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Oh, a friend of mine used to work in Digi before he left. Gave me the last slot. Line ok so far, everything is fine for me. Won't say it's the best or anything. As long it works, i'm happy :p.. Had bad experience with Celcom and Maxis :wall:

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Had a hands-on with Asus phones at Queensbay Mall today, I'm impressed. Really impressed. You can bet my next phone won't be a Samsung anymore. Errr... I think. Bought my Note 4 without contract too. But seriously, for Android phones... I just need more RAM and more storage. My Note 4 32GB only left around 7GB after like 6 months... wtf... how is that going to last me for the next 2 years??? :(

13. Chai

Actually the way Android works, most of the time you don't need more than 2gb (don't want to be the next Bill gates lol), because it will not utilise the ram like how Windows do. It will start killing processes too quickly. It also depends on the os tuning. So different Android will manage ram decently.

14. Adrian Wong

I think that's if you stick to stock Android. Many of the Android smartphones come with considerable bloatware.

The Galaxy S6, for example, comes with 3 GB of RAM but on a fresh restart, only 660 MB of it is free for apps to use.

So for these smartphones, more RAM would be nice. It would help to keep the apps running in memory, which is helpful if you multitask, e.g. edit pictures in Pixlr and then post them to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, that's why the rooting/flashing scene is so happening for Android. I've yet to root my Note 4, there will come a time I guess, once things slow down which a "when" thing, no "if". :|

16. Chai

This is why I avoided Samsung, easily the most bloated Android. I have used many other brands and never have lack of ram problem. Sometimes it is also due to how manufacturers tune the ram usage.

Able to install custom Rom is fun, but most of the time, it can't beat stock Rom for performance, stability and features. Normally I run modified stock rom or just plain old rooted stock rom.

17. Adrian Wong

The ASUS ZenUI seems to be about the same. The 4 GB ZenFone 2 has 1.6 GB of free memory - 1 GB more than Samsung.

18. Chai

I have devices with 1gb and 2gb. Obviously 1gb was struggling. But the 2gb devices usually have 600mb space left or more. It never feel the need for more ram. Cpu is a different story, especially for games.