Watercooling upgrade project

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Chai, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Damn... I actually just ordered the exact same PCB (green) for my MCP355. My pump is not dead, but the noise is much louder than when it was still new if running at full speed. If I'm not mistaken the pump has been running non stop for 6-7 years.

Now I'm not sure if I still want to try it on my pump :|

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If it is louder now then when new, I think the ceramic bearing is about to wear out, it is not due to the pump controller PCB.

So I don't think it will help. But you can reduce the flow rate to reduce noise with the PCB using PWM. But I didn't get it to work.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yup, the idea was to use PWM to control the pump speed to reduce noise, that's why I bought the PCB.

Perhaps I should just try it as the pump is pretty old already...have to replace it sooner or later anyway. If it works then I'll have a quiet pump and it will possibly last a few more years running at lower speed :lol:

4. Chai

I'm running my new pump at the lowest speed now. It still works very well. Flow rate is overrated. Hehe

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I should be getting the PCB by next week, hopefully it works for my pump.

6. Chai

Be careful when soldering. The coil wires can be too short sometimes so you may need to unwind the coil.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Just got it today... I couldn't find any guide for this green PCB. So I got some questions for you haha

Do you know what's the difference between the J1-J6 & K1-K6 soldering points? I'm guessing both are the same and its just to suit different wire length for different versions of DDC.

There are also two tiny resistors labelled 2700... Did you solder this? Looking at the PCB it seems like they are for the LEDs...

8. Chai

The soldering point is for the different pump versions. DDC1 will use the outside soldering point, while the DDC2/3 will use the inner soldering point. You can use only either one on your pump.

And the resistors are for the LED.

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Replaced the PCB, pump works but it's even noisier than before and it got downgraded to DDC1 speed :haha: Even running it at low speed doesn't help. Fail :|

Not sure if I damaged the pump during disassembly/mod or its the problem with the PCB :think:

10. Chai

I think it was a problem with the pcb. I was facing the same problem before the pcb blew up. I was definitely not happy with the product.

That's why I gave up and bought mcp35x which is far better than any ddc pump IMO.

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I only bought it because I read the martinsliquidlab review which shows uber flow rate improvement... and now there's a version with PWM. There's no way its going to downgrade my pump right? :haha:

I couldn't even fall back to the old PCB because it was epoxied to the magnetic coils, impossible to remove it without permanently damaging it.

12. Chai

Yeah, I got conned as well. I read some reviews that the new pwm is crap. But he insisted me to try. Luckily it blew up and I'm much happier now.

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

14. Chai

LOL! I guess it's too late for me to advise you.

I was considering this option, but there's a huge problem with this setup.

Because the pump is directly mounted to the radiator, the pump will resonate on the radiator, and creating a lot of vibration noises. This is one of the reason why I'm still separating the pump from the radiator. In order for me to reduce the noise further, I bought a pump heatsink with rubber feet to isolate the vibration from the pump.

You can use a cheap way, which is to put a thick foam under the pump. But that will heat up the pump if you run at full speed.

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You are right, I noticed it right away the first time I ran it, at full speed it's noticeably louder than a separate pump radiator setup, but at low speed (less than 2500rpm) it's completely silent, at least I couldn't hear it at all unless I put my ear next to it.

The loudest thing on my setup is still the radiator fans, even at 700RPM :(

16. Chai

Time to buy some high quality fans for high pressure setup like the Gentle Typhoon, which is getting quite rare now.

Luckily it's quiet at low pump speed, I couldn't find such info online.

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I guess most who complained intend to run it at high/max speed, it will be noisy for sure... another problem is MCP35X itself is a noisier pump compared to the old MCP355. I personally did a comparison with a cheap 2nd hand MCP355 pump I just bought a few days ago as I have plans to reuse some of my old parts to watercool my existing HTPC/NAS setup.

How much did you pay for your Gentle Typhoons? If I remember correctly they cost like 70+ bucks... :(

18. Chai

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

From the graph it looks like only the 2003 DDC1 is louder than MCP35X, so my subjective testing is inline with Martin's test results (it's a DDC3.25)

Is it capable of running with low voltage, maybe 5-7V range?

20. Chai

I thought you are using the earlier DDC2 pumps. Mcp35X is noisier because it is slightly more powerful.

I'm using motherboard fan control, and it still works at 300rpm, but barely blowing air. I'm not sure what is the actual voltage, but it can go really low.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk