It's going to be 2015, and where's the self-lacing shoes??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 20, 2014.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Many years back I watched that "Back to the Future II" show with my family on TV. Was amazed with what happened in 2015 as a young kid.

Saw some of those:

1.) Self-lacing shoes.
    2.) Holographic Shark Advertisement.
    3.) Neon lights on the sidewalk.
    4.) Smart glasses.
    5.) Hoverboard.
    6.) Self-drying jacket.

But it's a month to 2015 and I'm yet to see all these!! :haha:

The "smart glasses" might be an analog to the "Google glass", but less gawdy. The ones in the show has a mini LED-matrix showing stuff which might be an equivalent to today's OLED display.

Those neon lights on the sidewalk might be today's lamp posts with LEDs.

The "holographic shark advertisement"... not even in today.

Hoverboard, self-lacing shoes and self-drying jacket are nowhere to be seen even as for now. :haha:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

There are quick drying shirts though, and shirts that are water resistant on the outside and yet allow sweat and air to escape from inside. :D

And I think everyone's still hoping for a hoverboard to be developed real soon. LOL!

3. The_YongGrand

Quick-drying shirts were there since the late 90s, I could guess. They have special polymers and stuff in the fabric, even the designer underpants contain them!:faint:

But, in that show little Marty was getting his jacket dried in 2015 and the jacket could talk. With today's technology - the talking part can be feasible. Stick an ARM microcontroller and a sound compression system inside and you are good to go.

The current hoverboard only floats on specialized magnetic surface, according to a recent Google search. There isn't much to say about, but at least it hovers. :whistle:

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, unfortunately, there hasn't been much progress on those fronts.

Heck, we still don't have talking cars like KITT! :haha:

5. The_YongGrand

Yeah, the talking part is doable. The problem is putting a personality inside. No cars or any automotive electronics are suitable for all these extremely complicated artificial intelligence systems. However, they have image processing, so this is one step closer.

Talking about the KITT, I once saw the car in Universal Studios (Los Angeles) in '97. The problem was, we forgot to take the pictures together that time.

I heard that the thing has been moved to Singapore Universal Studios (or I've seen the wrong car!), and I'm still yet to see this despite being much closer! :haha:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Meh, I'm still waiting for the time when I can get a cyber brain upgrade, upload my mind into cyberspace, or into a smoking hot cyber body. :mrgreen:

7. The_YongGrand

Aha, they sorta did that in "The Matrix" in 1999. :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

We could ALL be in the Matrix... :mrgreen:

9. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

You know, I had a steak yesterday...:think:

10. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Kid shoes seem to have all moved to velcro instead of laces. Won't suprise me if that would be what adults will be using some years from now.

11. Adrian Wong

Are you Trinity or are you Cypher? :twisted:

12. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Let's not jump to conclusions. 2015 has 365 days so there is plenty of time to be surprised. We should discuss this again at the end of 2015 :)

13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Maybe Neo.:think:

Craving chocolate chip cookies...:think: :lol:

14. The_YongGrand

We are still waiting for the hoverboard! (and the holographic shark advertisment!!) :):haha:

15. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

I think that having a holographic Michael Jackson dance this year is a good step forward in this direction.

16. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Nah, the tech for Miku Jackson is nothing new and has been around for quite a while already.