Pentium G3258 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Just got this CPU yesterday for my HTPC/NAS, the best it could do is 4.7GHz. I didn't win the CPU lottery, but 4.7 is still pretty good to me.

This is the perfect CPU if you don't do photo/video editing (if you want something cheap that is), but you have to overclock it.

Attached Files:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Welcome back! And time to update your signature! :haha:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Do you really need so much "powahhhhh!" in your HTPC? :mrgreen:

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It's the 2nd cheapest LGA1150 processor I think? So it's not too much "powahhhhh!" :mrgreen:

LOL updated (I'm lazy)

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

12 Hour test, good enough for me.

My hands are itching to delid it right now but I keep remembering that poor Opteron that died years ago due to my first deliding adventure :shock:

Attached Files:

6. Chai

LMAO! That's a good update!

Delidding looks simple enough, but I doubt it will do much. There's not much heat on Haswell.

7. Adrian Wong

If you are using it to just play movies, 4.7 GHz is overkill, right? Or are you going to play games on it with a discrete graphics card? :mrgreen:

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yes, just some older games occasionally and also PS2 emulation. It also runs a Linux VM all the time (for NAS) so I guess it needs the overclock.

Even if I don't do these, I would still overclock it :haha: It's really easy so why not!

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I think so too, I have seen some ppl getting more than 10c improvement after deliding under load, not sure how is that even possible unless the stock adhesive is too thick causing a small gap between the IHS and core.

10. Chai

Even if they managed to reduce temperature, it will not improve overclocking.

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Turns out 4.8GHz is actually stable with excessive voltage. :lol:

Attached Files:

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Accidentally killed the cheap MCP355 pump yesterday which I intend to use for this setup :doh: I will never find another one that's so cheap at very good condition.

Today I went out and bought another 2nd hand pump (MCP35X) and 3 GT fans, previous owner did some modifications to the wires. No issues with it but it bothers me so I removed them, resoldered the connector pins and sleeve the wires to keep them nice and tidy... :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

All done! Also a picture of the burnt MCP355 :wall: wasted a good pump because of my stupid mistake (I accidentally swapped the +ve/-ve wires) I guess the pump housing & impeller are still useful so I will keep it.

Attached Files:

14. Adrian Wong

So that's why you needed the Molex to 3-pin connectors. :mrgreen:

I will send it over shortly. Sorry, been very busy running around. :mrgreen:

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

No problem :mrgreen: