The Thomson / Technicolor TG784n Port Forwarding Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Port forwarding is important if you have applications or games that require an unobstructed connection from a computer on your local network to a remote service or server. What it basically does is open a port in your firewall and direct all traffic that is sent to that port to a specific computer on your network. Think of it as opening a secret entrance in your city wall and then routing all traffic that goes through it to a specific house.

If you do not set up port forwarding for your application, it may not be able to connect to the service or you may have to live with reduced performance.

This port forwarding guide is for those who are using the older Thomson TG784n router, or the newer Technicolor TG784n v3 router. Although the example uses the latest Technicolor TG784n v3 router, the steps are the same for the older Thomson TG784n router. Let's get right down to it!

[​IMG]

Link : The Thomson / Technicolor TG784n Port Forwarding Guide

2. Adrian Wong

The Thomson / Technicolor TG784n Port Forwarding Guide Rev. 2.0

Port forwarding is important if you have applications or games that require an unobstructed connection from a computer on your local network to a remote service or server. What it basically does is open a port in your firewall and direct all traffic that is sent to that port to a specific computer on your network. Think of it as opening a secret entrance in your city wall and then routing all traffic that goes through it to a specific house.

If you do not set up port forwarding for your application, it may not be able to connect to the service or you may have to live with reduced performance.

This port forwarding guide is for those who are using the older Thomson TG784n router, or the newer Technicolor TG784n v3 router. Although the example uses the latest Technicolor TG784n v3 router, the steps are the same for the older Thomson TG784n router. Let's get right down to it!

In this update, we made various improvements and corrections to the guide. We also added some information on the default MAC address selection.

[​IMG]

Link : The Thomson / Technicolor TG784n Port Forwarding Guide Rev. 2.0

3. mamadcloud

mamadcloud Newbie

Hi Adrian Wong,

Thank you for sharing this valuable information.
    Btw I got problem when setting up port forwarding.
    I have Web Application using Apache Web Service set on my computer.
    I have followed all the instructions that given on the link that you give on your post.
    But it is not working.
    I have tried using port 80, it is only work on my local network pc, I could not open it from other pc outside my network.
    if I used other port, it wont even open even from my local network pc.

When I tried test the port forwarding using PF tools.
    It said:
    "Ping Result: We were not able to ping your router"
    "Port Check Result: Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable"

for checking port, could not be check, coz when I use the port that used by Web Services, it says need to close the app.

Please help me on this. Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,
    Muhammad

4. Adrian Wong

Hi Muhammad,

What port did you originally want to use with your Apache Web Service?

The PFPortChecker utility is only used to test whether a particular port is open. You don't need to keep it open. If it confirms that your port is open, then it's definitely open and you can close it.

Other than checking on the router side, please make sure you check Windows Firewall. It must be configured to allow your Apache Web Service to access the Internet and be accessed from outside.

5. chersonese

chersonese Newbie

Dr. Adrian Wong,
    Thanks very much for this excellent guide. Certainly better than what maxis is giving out.

Eventually, I was forced to fix the ip of my computer. What I would like to know is the DHCP range used by the router so that I can select a fixed ip that will not clash with a dynamically allocated one.

I realize this is an old thread. But any reply would be appreciated.

regards

6. Adrian Wong

Hi chersonese,

I'm glad the guide was helpful.

The router IP is fixed as 192.168.1.254, so you need to set that as your default gateway in a fixed IP setting, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

As for your computer's fixed IP address, I believe you can select anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253. I usually just start from 192.618.1.100.

7. chersonese

chersonese Newbie

Thanks very much for the reply.

This is actually my first visit to this forum. It looks really interesting. Will certainly be looking around more. I am sure I will learn a lot here.

regards

8. Adrian Wong

You're most welcomed. :mrgreen:

9. jmss

jmss Newbie

Hi,

What is the:

Does anyone know how to get this info from either the web or the telnet interfaces?

Thanks.

10. Adrian Wong

As mentioned in my reply to chersonese, the DHCP range is theoretically from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253 (because 192.168.1.254 is the router's own IP address).

But I took a closer look (Home > Home Network > Interfaces > LocalNetwork) and discovered that at least in my firmware, they limited the DHCP range from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253.

They allow you to edit the DHCP range though.

11. jmss

jmss Newbie

I got it, thanks. I was not able to find it before.

12. Adrian Wong

No problem. :thumb: