Budget Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by belikethat, Dec 31, 2014.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

I been looking around for a gaming laptop with budget range of rm3.5k+-

Initial List
    All 5 have identical spec, unless mentioned below.
    Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2.50 &
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX860M 2 or 4 GB DDR5, or 850m
    15.6 size Screen,
    Window 8.1

1 Aspire V Nitro RM3,399
    IPS
    12 GB DDR3L SDRAM
    1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD
    3 cells

2 Lenovo Y50-70 RM3,499
    DOS operating system
    15.6'' FHD WLED
    8G ram
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX860M DDR5 4G
    4 cells

3 Asus G551JM RM3,499
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB SATA 5400rpm
    15.6" Full HD EMV (1920 x 1080) LED Display
    6 Cell 5200mAH Battery

4 Dell Inspiron 14 7000 RM3,199
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2)
    1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 850M 4GB DDR3
    65 WHr, 6-Cell Battery

5. MSI GE60 - 2PC RM3,599
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 850M 2GB GDDR5
    15,6 FULL HD, anti glare LED backlit
    8GB DDR3 RAM / 1 TB HDD ( 7200rpm)

There are also Illegear & Aftershock laptops which i didnt have a look yet. Not sure on their service/supports
    So far it looks like Acer is the best deal

Any opinions/Suggestions/inputs :pray: Would like to get 1 before the GST next year :whistle:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Do you intend to play directly on the laptop? Or hook it up to a monitor? If you intend to hook it up to a monitor, try to find one with a mini-DP out, instead of VGA out.

I'm partial to 16GB of RAM, but you can always upgrade it later when you have the budget. I would go with the GeForce GTX 850M since it uses the same GPU as the 860M. You can always overclock it.

Specs-aside, if you intend to play directly on the laptop, then as long as you identify the main specs you need, I would recommend that you go try out those laptops and see which has the best keyboard + display for you. These are very subjective, so you really need to try them out.

3. shiro

shiro Newbie

Lenovo Z50
    AMD A10-7300 Quad-Core 1.9 GHz Processor
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    15.6-Inch Screen
    Windows 8.1, 5-hour battery life

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

does count as a gaming laptop, only has NVIDIA® Geforce 840M. much lower performance compare to 860M:roll:

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Lenova going to refresh thaier Y50 with 960m!

Arguably, one of the most successful budget gaming notebooks on the market is the Lenovo Y50. This laptop is surely a great buy with its sleek design, thin profile and powerful hardware, but most of the configurations lack a quality IPS panel, which is a necessity even for a casual gamer.

We’ve managed to get our hands on an interesting info about some upcoming configurations of the Y50, thanks to some LaptopMedia insiders. For starters, there will be 3 models featuring the new GTX 960M graphics card with 4GB GDDR5. Two of them will be packing UHD resolution along with 512GB SSD or 1TB+8GB SSHD and the other one will offer an IPS LCD Full HD panel. There’s good news for those who aren’t willing to spend a lot of money, because Lenovo will be offering the current Y50 with refreshed Intel Core i7-4720HQ processor, 1TB + 8GB SSHD and most importantly – Full HD IPS LCD panel for around €1000.

As for pricing, we expect the UHD version with 512GB SSD to be around €1400, as for the other one with 8GB SSHD – around €1200. Y50 with GTX 960M and FHD IPS panel is expected to have a price tag of €1120. All models are packing the Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU, which is slightly more powerful than the Core i7-4710HQ. Also, the new Y50s will be out in the beginning next month, but it’s quite possible that Lenovo will ship them a bit earlier say, for example, until the end of this month.

Refreshed Lenovo Y50 variants with GTX 960M and new Intel processors are coming this March with decent pricing

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Will they debut the refreshed model here? :think:

7. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

That is another question. Time is ticking!! ( 1st April 2015 )

8. Adrian Wong

Haha.. Exactly! Even I'm wondering whether I should get something now, or wait for Skylake... :wall:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are thinking about it, means you don't need it. :dance:

10. Adrian Wong

You are correct! :D

Well, I don't really "need" it... just that it would be "nice" to get a speed bump... and an excuse to upgrade to 32 GB of RAM. :mrgreen:

11. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

12. Adrian Wong

I hope not!

The Kepler GPU has been used in THREE generations of NVIDIA GeForce M series... It would be absurd, but not impossible, for them to reuse the same GPU (e.g. GK106) as the GTX 960M... but it would be really low of them.

13. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Some news on 960m

We still didn’t hear anything about GTX 960M in notebooks, although desktop alternative is almost here. However, mobile variant has nothing to do with the desktop model. Judging from the component ID number, GTX 960M will benefit from GM107 power efficiency, but not so much from it’s gaming horsepower.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, GTX 950M and 940M soon in laptops | VideoCardz.com

We also happen to know that both mobile GPUs will offer a 20% increase in overall performance, compared to 860M and 850M
    GeForce GTX 960M and GTX 950M are coming next month followed by 940M

14. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Acer nitro - increase by rm100 and worst part, Ram reduced by 4GB

15. Adrian Wong

The RAM can be upgraded though.

16. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

gtx960m is indeed a 860m just with higher clock speed which translate into just a 5% performance increase. There was plenty of margin for improvement but they stick with the old 860m. What a bummer. probably lack of competition. So Nvidia will just rebrand it and change it to 960!!
    960 Is cooler than 860 number.. must buy!

The GTX 960M is indeed a 860M rebrand with around max 5% clocks bump

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  17. Adrian Wong

This is the problem when there's not enough competition... :wall: :wall:

18. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

By right it should be branded as GTX 865m.

am still furious. because of this
    i decided not to get a laptop.
    i will eat that 6% next time. ahhahah

19. Adrian Wong

They are mixing it up, so consumers who don't check the specs won't notice. :(

They will just see the higher number and assume it's a newer GPU when it's really the previous generation GPU renamed...

20. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

960m has been release on Acer nitro. guess what price has been increased from 3499 to 3999.
    A whopping 500 bucks for an "upgrade" for gtx860m to gtx960m
    with the factor or gst + ringgit went low