The Internet Censorship Bypass Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

In 1999, the Malaysian government under Tun Dr. Mahathir launched the Multimedia Super Corridor. To garner foreign investment and support, he promised that the Malaysian government would never censor the Internet. Yet, today, contrary to the Multimedia Act, the Malaysian government actively censors the Internet, usually targeting political websites whose opinions it does not agree with.

[​IMG]

Of course, this is not just the Malaysian experience. Internet censorship is prevalent everywhere. It's just a matter of what and how much of the Internet is being blocked.

This guide seeks to build up a database of methods by which the common Internet user can easily bypass such censorship. We will start with the most common bypass method - switching the DNS servers, and add more over time.

Link : The Internet Censorship Bypass Guide

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

great info, been using google's DNS for awhile now.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Great info too!

On other story, if you have seen Lat's (a Malaysian cartoonist) treatment on the "Multimedia Super Corridor" in one of his illustrations, it's really funny! :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

Thanks, guys!

It's a very short one on DNS servers because my friend needed a guide like that urgently. I will be adding the other methods later. :D

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

perhaps can add in like VPN, proxy and stuff ?

6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Funny thing - Unifi is assigning 8.8.4.4 for their secondary DNS.

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, definitely! If you guys would like to contribute portions to it, do let me know because I'm not a network expert. I will write whatever I can.

I actually came up with that guide for a friend who needed it urgently. However, it's quite impossible to explain it to him by phone or messages so I decided to quickly draft that out for him. :D

8. Adrian Wong

As a backup perhaps? Maybe they aren't too confident in their own DNS servers... Haha...

9. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

btw who control the DNS for google.com.my ?
    always been hack

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

mynic.my

11. Adrian Wong

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I never use
    Code:
    http://www.google.com.my
    I always go to
    Code:
    http://www.google.com/ncr

13. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

what the different with Google ?
    i tried it redirect me to https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl
    noticed there is ssl

14. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yep, and notice you are on the global site, not the localized versions of Google.

15. Adrian Wong

Why use the NoCountryRedirect unless there is a problem? Usually, the localised Google search engine is faster.

16. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Well I prefer the global site over the local one, and its annoying when I type in the URL for the global site it always forces a redirect.

17. Adrian Wong

They always do that so we get the closest (and fastest) server... :D

18. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

It used to be that you would type in the gobal site, get redirected to the local site, then click on the "go to google -dot- com" link and it would stay there (at least until you've cleared cookies and whatever).

Now even if you click to go to the global site, after you close your browser and come back again, it redirects again.

And with the ongoing fiasco with the "right to be forgotten" going on over in the EU, where certain searches are censored by region or locality... who knows what sort of crap may or may not be going on with google dot com dot MY?

I'll just stick with the global site.

19. Adrian Wong

That's true... but I generally stick with google.com.my until I come to a site that is blocked.

One thing good about Google is that if they were asked to remove a website from the search list, they will notify you and let you actually look at what's censored. If you want, you can still access the censored links. Hehe...