Get Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Software' started by atwl77, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You could be using one with a VLK licence, which Chai said is not entitled to the free upgrade.

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Windows 10 is deprecating the following features:

◾If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
    ◾Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
    ◾Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    ◾Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    ◾Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
    ◾If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
    ◾If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Not sure how many peripherals (drivers) this will break. To remove the nag, uninstall the KB3035583 update, then reboot and "hide" the update when it reappears.

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I heard that there's the new Office 2016 for the Windows 10.

Plus, there's the free "Office Apps" which are portable on PCs, tablets and phones. I guess that app isn't a full replacement of Office 2016 but it's a more basic version. :)

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the tip! That additional icon in the task bar is really annoying...

5. Adrian Wong

No idea why they have to leave it there forever... :D

6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm... it's no longer here on my laptop. Perhaps it takes a second Windows Update to remove the icon? :think:

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

woke up this morning and 10 is goneeee. kind of missing it now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Adrian Wong

That reminds me. I haven't rebooted Windows in 17 days. Getting a bit sluggish. Going to wait for the Patch Tuesday files to arrive, update and then reboot. :mrgreen:

9. Chai

I have just uninstalled the patch. Haven't restarted yet.

I have tested Windows 10 Insider Preview, while I like the desktop friendly Start Menu, but it seems to be buggy still. I expected less bugs at this stage. Looks like I will definitely not upgrade yet during launch.

10. The_YongGrand

So on the official Windows webpage, If I download the Insider Preview ISO (from that official page), then use the ISO to upgrade my Windows 7 (genuine) to 10, my new Windows 10 will be also guaranteed as "Genuine"? :D

11. Chai

Microsoft has just confirmed that only genuine win 7 and 8 users are entitled for free upgrade to win 10. So in short, yes, you are entitled. :mrgreen:

But you may not be able to upgrade from insider preview to final version when it's out. You may have to reformat and start from scratch. This is based on previous Windows beta program.

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Tomorrow's D-Day, isn't it? Wonder who's gonna be the first guinea pig... :beer:

13. Adrian Wong

No, the upgrade will only be available next month - AFTER the 29th of July.

14. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, we will be reusing the old licence key, right?

And that the offer is only valid for one year beginning from the time we get the upgrade notification.

15. The_YongGrand

The rumours about the Windows 10 might be including basic office apps:

News 1

News 2

If they have included basic office apps, it'll be extremely great and will bring PC costs down too. :)

16. Chai

I don't think there's a clear statement released regarding that. So we won't know what will happen after a year.

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Wonder am i entitle or not.. Haven't setup my new Pc yet. Running W8.1 though..

18. Chai

If you have a genuine Windows 7 or 8 license, you are entitled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

19. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

o_O off by a month... and here I was thinking I could go buy a device preinstalled with Win10 next week...

20. Adrian Wong

Just one more month... :mrgreen: