Beware Of Fake Power Banks!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'll try this one out and see how much "true" capacity it has. I'm actually more worried about how the actual capacity lasts over time. If it's like the fake Mophie case I got... it's pointless if it has 100,000 mAh, because it will be down to 500 mAh in less than a year!

2. minvita

minvita Banned

I want to buy power bank , http://www.aliexpress.com/store/612046

so how can we know what is the real capacity?
    I just found the power bank on that store
    seems nice from photo
    anyone knows that?

3. Adrian Wong

You can't really know for sure without breaking open the power bank, which is why you should not buy from unknown sources.

AliExpress wouldn't be a really good choice to buy powerbanks - quite a few fraudsters there, as well as at DHGate.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even if you open up the power bank, it may come with fake battery labels. A 2000mah cell labeled as 3000mah cell for example.

5. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Thanks. I also tend to talk to myself over web forums, and have an uncontrollable urge to advertise online stores. And of course I only buy at stores which spam web forums.

6. Adrian Wong

Hahaha!!! :thumb: :thumb:

And now you are banned, meghaf04, for spamming... :mrgreen:

7. mitch08

mitch08 Newbie

How about phone battery life?

Hey guys. I understand that fake power banks' energy depletes faster than the originals but my main concern is it safe for my phone's battery health if I use fake power banks? Does fake power banks have a different mechanism of charging phones compared to original ones?

8. Adrian Wong

mitch08, the recharging mechanism is the same, just that fake power banks will most likely not be as efficient as the genuine ones. They could possibly lack protective features like overvoltage and overcurrent protection, so if you get a really bad one, you could possibly damage your phone.

Since power banks have fallen in price and are very cheap now, there's really no reason to get a lousy one. Opt for a quality power bank, and you won't ever regret it. :thumb:

9. Albion01

Albion01 Newbie

I didn't know Panasonic bought over Sanyo. The entire company, or only the battery division?

10. Adrian Wong

They started by buying a majority stake in Sanyo... but eventually purchased the entire company a few months later. :D

11. Chai

All eneloops are now labeled as Panasonic eneloops.

12. Adrian Wong

Really? I thought they are retaining the Sanyo name for certain markets.

13. Chai

Really? I didn't know about that, but in both Japan and Malaysia, I can't find Sanyo branded eneloops anymore, unless they are old stock.

14. Adrian Wong

I still see Sanyos in All IT Hypermarket and believe it or not, Tesco. Of course, they could be old stock.

15. Chai

Most definitely old stock. I saw the digital mall All IT is already selling Panasonic instead of Sanyo.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

16. Adrian Wong

How did this get bumped up? LOL!

But since I'm here... just an update - Tesco's Eneloops are now 100% Panasonics.

17. Chai

Because I deleted a spammer account. Lol. Thanks to Panasonic, eneloop is everywhere now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

19. karlkoch

karlkoch Newbie

I had a bad experience using this duplicate power banks. I used it to charge my smart phone. Now the board has got some complaints. I don't know whether it can resolve or not.

20. Helen Marr

Helen Marr Newbie

I got a free power bank when I bought a new laptop and It works as it should, the brand is asus, It last up to 3 charges, too bad it got soaked in salt water when we went to the beach and I forgot to empty my pocket.. :(