DLNA setup/experiences, anyone?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by atwl77, Oct 15, 2015.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

So now that I have a set of DLNA-compatible speakers, I thought I'd give it a try to see what the rage is all about... :think:

So I reinstalled and started Music Server on my Synology NAS... put some music in there... fired up the DLNA app on my Sony Walkman... found the music and used the "throw" command to send the music to the speakers. All fine and dandy.

After the music finished, it stopped. So I figured maybe I need to "throw" multiple tracks to the speaker to setup a queue of files to play. However, while one track is playing, "throwing" another track causes the first track to stop, then the new track starts. If that's the case, I wonder what's the advantage of DLNA when I can just connect to the speakers directly via Bluetooth and play?

Am I missing some important step here? :?

BTW trying to search for "how to queue music DLNA" on Google just brings up a whole bunch of noise, so... :nuts:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I didn't set up DLNA for my TV because I already have a media player attached. But AFAIK, you need a DLNA server to queue songs or movies, or an app that supports DLNA queuing.

Many DLNA apps AFAIK just "throw" a media file to the TV, they won't queue multiple files.

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

So it's actually my Walkman's DLNA player that sucks? lol...

Anyway, it turns out I can install Audio Station on the NAS and then use it as a server that can be controlled from my phone via DS Audio app. Seems to work fine, except the player is quite slow and laggy -- but I suspect that might just be my NAS being a very old model. Time to upgrade to a new 415+ or something... :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

Yes, if you have a NAS, you can install a DLNA server to queue and send media files over to the TV.

Good excuse to upgrade! :thumb: :thumb: :mrgreen:

5. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

So I installed the Naim control app on my Walkman and it turns out to be a much better player than the default Sony DLNA app, lol.

Now all that is left is to fix broken album thumbnails... cos apparently Synology's Media Server doesn't automatically generate/support using the embedded album art for folder/album views and requires a separately-named cover.jpg or folder.jpg to reside in the folder. Sigh... more work... zzz....:nuts:

6. Adrian Wong

But at least you can queue the files now. :thumb:

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

How about using Plex? :think:

8. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I read on the Synology forum that the Plex app isn't well-supported, and some users had problems with it screwing up their security privileges... not something I want to risk on a primary backup device.