Help me with wifi

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by PowerSlide, Dec 1, 2015.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

let's make this simple

i'm on unifi 30MB now, the router is in my room and i'm using cable to connect my desktop pc..so using speetest i get full speed..all is good

but my sis room opposite mine the wifi signal is not that great, test using speedtest only getting 8MB

should i ditch the stock telekom provided router get a new router or buy one of those wifi range extender thing? and what is repeater? same as a wifi range extender? i'm confused :mrgreen:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Get a new router. The original one is crap. But don't expect miracles if your sis room is far or blocked by walls.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The original router is nothing to scream about, but it really looks like the wall separating your rooms is blocking the signal. Is it a concrete wall? That would explain it as it would have steel bars inside.

If the wall is the problem, then changing the router won't help. If she's using a laptop, you can try relocating it outside your room with the door open at the same (or longer) distance, and see if the performance improves.

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Could be several things at play.

The router or wall may be a problem as mentioned, but could also be that you have lots of wifi contamination in your area, in which case you have to either try setting your router to a different channel, or switch to the 5Ghz channel if the laptop supports it.

On the other hand, the laptop's wifi could also suck, especially if its using one of the older Intel Wireless-N 7620 chipset (the non-AC one). Can set up a second router in your sis' room with direct cable to the main router, like how I set up a second access point in the living room downstairs connected to the main router upstairs via 10m Ethernet cable.

Adrian Wong and zy like this.
  5. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's a good point. Try changing to a different channel. :thumb::thumb:

6. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

ok guys this is the ugly drawing the placement of the router :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

RED is the router

GREEN is the the place my sis sit to work with her laptop and desktop pc

BLUE is doors

wall and distance is the problem? i use wifi analyzer to check the wifi signal that can be detected is on different channel as mine, so this is ok

also the router is placed on the floor below my table..this is also not good?

Adrian Wong likes this.
  7. Adrian Wong

WOAHHH... The staircase is a big problem. A lot of concrete right here.

Maybe you can place the router on the RIGHT wall of your room? Even better if you can move your sister's desk to the right too.

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

Very hard to rearrange anything again. Beds and wardrobe and some other thing in the way and my house which is 20 years old now have all the wall plug at the wrong places lol

I got a idea of moving the router to the spot just outside my room, the spot there is open space just railing for the stairs not wall and run cables into my room or easier solution buy those wifi range extender device

9. Adrian Wong

Yes, that would be a solution, although if you move the router outside your room, you should still be able to receive WiFi inside your room. There should not be a need to run any cable.

Unless your modem must remain in your room. Then you will have no choice but to run a LAN cable to the router outside.

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

A good router does wonders too. Since upgrading to the Netgear R7000 Blackhawk, I now get decent signal in the garage (whereas the router is in my room - on the opposite corner of the house).

Adrian Wong likes this.
  11. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Instead of rearranging furniture, just add a wall shelf that sits on top of everything else, like how I arrange mine:

Attached Files:

PowerSlide and Adrian Wong like this.
  12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

bro and sis

After brain storming what to do where to place the router i go with the easy way, use one of my old adsl router and set it as a access point.

Tied it on the stairs rail with cable tie, pull a long lan cable into the main router and even i'm shooting blindly just following guide in google i get it to work. So now my sis room is getting good wifi signal.

Just i'm not sure i'm doing it correctly, on the access point i set SSID and password same as the main router then set it on different channel. Disable DHCP and NAT and change it to bridged mode, this is all i do.

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Sounds correct to me. That's what I usually would do.

PowerSlide likes this.
  14. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

thank you..that means i got it right :thumb:

i'm never good at networking, most of the setting in there make no sense to me :haha:

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

16. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

can have router all over the house even in toilet :haha:

thank you for the link :thumb:

now im thinking changing the stock router, any good budget router in around RM200? :p

17. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I'm using an Aztech WL889RT4 as my bridge. It's only 2.4GHz, but not bad for the price.

If you want to change the stock router, might as well spend good money on one instead of just getting "more of the same" with a budget one.

18. Adrian Wong

Yeah, if you change router, get a really good one. It will last you literally forever, and give you a lot less headaches!

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm a dd-wrt person, so my routers are dd-wrt compatible. :shifty:

But, yeah, Adrian has a point, if you don't plan to change your router in the near future, consider investing in a good one. Can consider dual-band routers too, but internet speed would be the limiting factor.

20. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

If you ask me, I've gone through enough routers from cheap ones to really high end consumer ones like the Asus RT-AC87U I'm using now. My take? All of them over promises and under delivers. My next set of routers would be ones like this: Ubiquiti Networks - Enterprise or a Mikrotik one: RouterBoard.com : RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN. Spend more but life would be far less frustrating.