Maintenance on my bike

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Your wheel will be 'dished' incorrectly if your chainstay is out of alignment. but it will still be straight. You probably need wheel dishing tool. Are you riding a carbon bike or alloy?

I really need a hanger straightening tool, hit a rock a month ago, almost killed the derailleur (L limit screw was ripped off), and hanger was bent. But I still couldn't justify getting a RM200-300 tool for basically 1 time use. I just use a spanner to bend it back. :haha:

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

My bike's aluminum, but that could change anytime in the future... :whistle:

But I think eventually I'll get at least a straightening tool... even slight misalignment can be annoying if it affects shifting and noise.

3. Chai

Usually it's just indexing, not hanger alignment. I'm very doubtful a road bike would have a bent hanger, even if it's alloy.

I have ridden for more than 6 years, and I have only bent the hanger twice. Once I hit a tree jamming the rear derailleur. I had to buy a new replacement as it was in L shape literally. Another time I hit a rock really hard, but it was only slightly bent. Both are caused by heavy impact.

If you are getting shifting noise throughout the cassette range, it's usually just indexing problem which is an easy fix. You can also eyeball whether the cassette is aligned to the derailleur cage.

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Well, I had a bent hanger which the shop helped me straighten last week, not sure when that happened...

5. Chai

Another likely reason is due to mishandling when you transport your bike on a car, or you lean your bike on the ground on the drivetrain side. Do let me know when you buy one. I will borrow from you. :Haha:

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

6. Chai

Did you get the derailleur hanger alignment tool yet?

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Nah, not yet. Still window shopping, lol.

8. Chai

Where's the best place you found so far?

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Most of the big places like Amazon etc have the Park Tools DAG-2 for around ~70 USD. Then I saw Rodalink had the Shimano version for RM6xx, but now I can't find the link to it :wall:

10. Chai

Get the DAG 2.2 which is the latest version. Cheapest I found is still on eBay.

11. Chai

I just realised my stem has cracked!

Attached Files:

12. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Wow! At least it did not snap and send you flying.:doh: What do you have in mind for a replacement?:think:

13. Chai

Yea, thankfully. I was just doing some inspection and was pretty shocked. Trying my luck for a free replacement. If not, probably getting this.

Chromag Ranger V2 Stem | Chain Reaction Cycles

14. Trinity

Yeah... You derserve a 'rma' :) That's bullshit.:snooty:

15. Chai

RMA not allowed, because it is too old, probably bought in 2012, and I'm not the original owner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

16. Trinity

It should be a lifetime part.:(

17. Chai

I agree with that. So I won't be getting another Hope stem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. Chai

I changed to new tyres on my hard tail, front with Maxxis Minion DHR II 3C, rear with Maxxis Ardent.
    DSC_1507.JPG DSC_1509.JPG

I also removed the old chainstay protector and applied using 3M 2228 Mastic tape.
    DSC_1502.JPG DSC_1503.JPG DSC_1504.JPG DSC_1505.JPG DSC_1506.JPG

19. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

It looks like you glued an inner tube to your chainstay :whistle::lol::haha:

20. Chai

Yup, but it's pre-glued. :p And it's easy to peel off when needed...