The ARP's New Toy Bragging Corner!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Apr 2, 2004.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Case: Phanteks P400S (reuse)
    PSU: Corsair RM850x (reuse, upgraded together with RTX)
    CPU: Intel i7-12700K
    Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4
    RAM: 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial Ballastix RGB DDR4 3200
    SSD: 2x 1TB WD black SN750 (reuse 1)
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 (reuse)
    CPU cooler: EVGA CLC 280, 280mm rads, Asetek pump, hence the NZXT LGA1700 bracket.
    GPU holder: Antec
    Fans: stock fan for rads. Stock phanteks fans mounted to the top. Old Zalman silent fan for exhaust.

Previous build was a i7-7700K.

In the first picture, MSI software turns off RAM and RGB when Windows turns off the monitor.

In the second picture, the glass is removed to show internals.

Crucial MOD software for RAM sucks, can never get it to work with the RAM RGB. MSI software can't control the RGB speed or brightness.

People like to route the GPU cables down, I route it upwards. The connectors are less ugly that way, and doesnt touch the glass.

Having some stability issues with the RTX. Not sure if it's a faulty card or heat soak. All temps showing 60s to 70s GPU/CPU. Reconfigured the rads and fans, hopefully more airflow.

Picture 3. Fans in front of the case frame. Poor airflow, too close to case bezel.

Picture 4. Fans move to the back of the case frame.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Chai, Trinity and atwl77 like this.
  2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Nice! I'd love to get a new desktop with 12th gen Intel, but currently 3080ti prices are out of this world!! Even on the laptop front, the new batch of 12gens with 3080ti are crazy :shock:

Trinity likes this.
  3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yeah. It is ridiculous. I would have gone with a 3080 but could not get hold of one. Manage to snag a EVGA 3070 FTW3 at Nvidia MSRP. Microcenter mess up their 3070 launch, and they honored the $499 MSRP and send any aib 3070 to legit customers.

Chai and Trinity like this.
  4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

My first entry into the VR world - HP Reverb G2 :mrgreen:

20220215_201131.jpg 20220215_201418.jpg

These controllers appear to run on AA x2 batteries each, and connect via Bluetooth? Anyways, didn't bother with them and left them in the box - I'm primarily gonna use the headset for racing so the controllers are redundant there.
    20220215_201559.jpg

Wrong plug! But fortunately my AVR supports it...
    20220215_201902.jpg

Also got a cheap generic plastic stand for the headset :D
    20220215_202459.jpg

Inside look... the glass kinda looks very vulnerable to scratches and dust... probably gonna keep the thing covered when not being used.
    20220215_203016.jpg

Only gotten as far as to set it up in Windows Mixed Reality, adjusted IPD, looked around and it seems okay. Head tracking seemed alright, despite reviews saying the tracking wasn't very good. Interestingly I did not need to wear my glasses with the headset; with glasses it felt uncomfortable and I always worried it might cause scratches, so I took them off and luckily could still see everything clearly. Gonna try racing in them later, once I get it configured correctly.

- x - x - x - x -

Update: Ugh, that was a disaster, lol. Looking and moving around the default Windows Mixed Reality environment is one thing, jumping into a race car is a completely different thing altogether. Managed to survive one lap of Monza before I needed to stop or throw up! :haha:

Need to take things slow and easy............. :oops:

- x - x - x - x -

Update 2: Okay, getting the hang of it now. Changed various settings to get 90fps, used motion sickness bands, put some fans in front of me, taken Mo Far Kor :lol:... but one week later, can do full race pace for at least an hour.

Almost ready to race with actual people soon! :mrgreen:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Chai likes this.
  5. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

At long last, my sim racing setup is... "mostly" complete! :whistle:
    There are a couple of things that I will probably upgrade in the future, but I will need a more dedicated space for everything before any of that happens. Also since Fanatec isn't available in SEA (outside of parallel imports and other grey area methods), I'll be waiting to see what sort of DD wheel Thrustmaster comes up with later this year.

PC: i7-11700k, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080 10GB, 1TB SSD main, 2TB HDD secondary
    Monitor: 49" Samsung Neo G9, Next Level Racing free standing single monitor stand
    VR: HP Reverb G2
    Rig: Logitech G923, Thrustmaster TH8A, Thrustmaster T-LCM, Next Level Racing GT Lite
    Audio: PreSonus Studio 24c, Rode NTG2 shotgun mic

DSC00269.JPG DSC00270.JPG

The input section: Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard, along with a Logitech trackball for navigation while in VR.
    DSC00271.JPG

The PC is attached to a rolling platform so that I it can be pulled forward along with the monitor, when using the monitor instead of VR headset. Cables all need to be slack in order for both monitor and PC to be adjusted independently though...
    DSC00272.JPG

In-game chat needs a bit of work though. The mic has to be really in my face to get decent volume, so this may see a change or upgrade in the near future.
    DSC00274.JPG

The seat isn't actually comfortable for long stints, using these KoYoTo memory foam products makes all the difference in ergonomics and comfort!
    DSC00275.JPG

Cable management is a bit of a mess at the back, but it's a bit tricky to get it nice and tidy when there are components that need to move forward and back depending on the setup.
    DSC00276.JPG

The cockpit can actually fold into a lot more compact form, but it's major pain to do, so I just fold up the pedals and seat and push it close to the wall when done.
    DSC00278.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Chai and zy like this.
  6. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Just received my Audeze Penrose... wasn't really expecting a Penrose X though, I thought it was just a color choice of blue or green when ordering. Not liking the extra long USB dongle... it's an accident waiting to happen. A little bit bass-shy.

20220316_192220.jpg

But I'm not getting any amp noise from the headset @Chai - there's a bit from the mic but muting the microphone solves it. Increasing volume to a very high level does reveal some of the noise floor, but at normal listening levels I don't hear it.

Chai likes this.
  7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Now I'm worried, should I send the unit back?

Adjusting the volume of both mic and headphone has no effect on the noise.

But I'm using it for work everyday, I just can't go back to crappy ear buds... haha...

8. Chai

This setup was meant to replace my old setup of Topping D10 with NAD C320BEE.

Now it is powered by Topping DX3 Pro+ as my DAC/headphone amp, together with Topping PA3s to drive my bookshelf speakers.
    20220331_005206.jpg

atwl77 likes this.
  9. Chai

Got this set from a big Lazada sale. With 2000+ pieces, it's going to take a while...

20220329_205836.jpg

PsYkHoTiK, Trinity and atwl77 like this.
  10. Chai

This is a Keychron Q1 75% mechanical keyboard, modded with knob by soldering on a cheap rotary knob.

20220330_135327.jpg

atwl77 likes this.
  11. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

If you're still within the return/warranty window, and are bothered by the amp noise, I guess it's a good idea to give it a try...

12. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Playing Tunic really wore out the thumbstick on my old controller :haha:
    20220331_204831.jpg

So I got myself a new one to finish the game with :mrgreen:
    20220330_192823.jpg 20220330_194026.jpg b

Unfortunately it's not as smooth sailing as I expected. Firstly, after pairing Bluetooth to PC, the A button also triggers the Xbox game bar, but that was an easy fix - just do a firmware update via the Xbox Accessories app.

Then I get intermittent connection drops while playing... for maybe 1-2s the thing doesn't respond to any controls, then everything goes back to normal. Direct wired connection seems to solve that issue, but it's definitely a buzzkill to be using a wireless controller in wired mode.

So I read online that some people have had luck with the wireless adapter, so I've ordered that and hopefully when it arrives, it will solve the connection problems.

Chai likes this.
  13. Chai

Needing to pay for the shipping back to US puts me off. This is what they said.

- As with any headphone amplifier, a certain degree of electrical noise should be expected - particularly when no audio is playing. This is unavoidable as such noise is a normal byproduct of a high-powered amplifier. High-powered amplifiers such as the one we use provide greater control over diaphragm movement and a broader, more lifelike dynamic range. We felt that it was necessary to include such an amplifier as we always strive to provide the absolute best sound quality possible.

- Most active headphones on the market do not have audiophile-quality drivers. Our planar magnetic drivers are extremely detailed and accurate. This means that they are able to reproduce this kind of signal noise, whether it's coming from the amplifier or from an analog recording, to a much greater degree than a dynamic driver would be capable of.

14. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah, if it's all the way back to the US then that's a big hassle...

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Uh... I did mention early last month that my sim racing setup is mostly complete... but.......... :shifty: ... :whistle: ... :haha:

20220409_172454.jpg 20220409_202733.jpg

Chai likes this.
  16. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Jumped in on the Moondrop Chu internet hype/bandwagon. Wow, these sound really good for their very measly RM84.99 price! There's also another headset version (with inline microphone) but it was out of stock; too bad the cable is not removable but at this price, no biggie.

20220515_133505.jpg 20220515_133551.jpg 20220515_133714.jpg 20220515_134144.jpg 20220515_140659.jpg

17. Chai

18. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Beware the Moondrop trap... you start with Chu, you may end up with Starfield... KXXS... Blessing 2... Blessing 2:Dusk... Variations... :haha::haha:

19. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Another internet darling - the 7Hz Timeless. Not as bargain basement level as the Moondrop Chus, but at RM769 they are pretty much up there, relatively speaking, in terms of sound quality for a mid-fi product. Even comes with a very wide selection of tips as well as a decent metal storage case.

20220628_113429.jpg 20220628_113550.jpg 20220628_113634.jpg
    20220628_193725.jpg

20. Chai

Luckily I won't fall into the trap, because I need mic...

So I bought these instead. Sony Linkbuds S.
    20220726_231818.JPG

atwl77 likes this.