Changing graphic card issues

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by belikethat, Jun 26, 2007.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

i have a
    2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S533-E REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    384 Megabytes Installed Memory(support up to 2700)
    (also plan to get another 512 stick)
    Enlight PSU 350 Ultra power.. haha is it true power?

ASUS V8170 SE 64RAM

core clock speed 250MHz
    memory clock speed of 166MHz? 166 x 2 ?
    the asus site has remove my card, so i got it from here
    from http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/asusshoutsgeforce4.shtml

alrite, i want a budget card that utilized based on my pc spec.
    budget less than rm200
    i play old games like war3, GTA VC, etc
    i don`t play games like far cry,doom 3, hl2, etc

1st issue
    sadly my mobo supports up to 4x only but 8x cards are backward compatible
    how truth is this? i had a fren who couldn`t get his x1600 into his 4x slot

"If an AGP card fits in an AGP expansion slot then they are compatible.
    But read the rest of this anyway. There are some rare exceptions where motherboard
    and video card manufacturers don't obey the rules."
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html#universalagpmotherboard

based on that state, i think it SHOULD be ok, but what do u think?

2nd issue
    What is the performance like if u put a 8x card into 4x slot?
    "For most systems the performance difference between AGP 4x and AGP 8x is at most around 5-10%."
    http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_2.html

3rd issue
    Which card do i go for :p
    i have checked out and interested in A9550GE, N5500, N6200

which spec do i look for, core speed, bit? engine clock? DDR2 ?
    However, I think i should go for a 128RAM card, cause i seen posting saying that there
    not much different between 256 and 128 unless the game is very demanding,which i don`t play?

How does the 64 bit compare to 128 bit, the 6200 has only 64bit but higher core speed
    whereelse 9550 has 128 bit but lowered core speed..

nvidia?ati?

or just tell me i should stick to what i have coz even with changing a new graphic card, not much improvement can be noticed,so i don`t have all these problems lol
    and sorry about the long post :p oh and i don`t OC.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  2. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

1. I've heard such rare issues before, but I've never experienced this problem before. If you want to be safe, bring your PC to the shop and test the card before you buy.

2. You just answered the question yourself :| . In your case, I doubt it'll even reach 5% (1 or 2% perhaps).

3. What are the memory clock speeds for both cards? Clock to clock, 128-bit memory interface has essentially twice the amount of memory bandwidth of 64-bit memory interface. I say go for the 9550, 64-bit memory interface is a serious bottleneck for the 6200.

For example, 9600 (128-bit, 200MHz) vs 9600 SE (64-bit 200MHz)
    9600: 128-bit/8*200MHz*2 = 6.4 GB/s
    9600 SE: 64-bit/8*200MHz*2 = 3.2 GB/s

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

8x and 4x are backward compatible.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Avoid the FX series at all cost, they totally suck compared to ATI counterparts.

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

7. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

7950 is way out my budget $229.99 x 3 = rm690 lol

i will settle with asus9550GE, but if there a 9600, than it good
    but if there 6200 with 128 bit, than it will be even sweater lol

8. CoolZone

CoolZone Newbie

i encountered some problems when i tried to install an agp 8x card into an agp 4x kt133a mobo.it simply did not want to boot.

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Eh, there're still nicer AGP cards around. Look around - don't just buy too hastily.

Try to hunt for the Galaxy 7300GT vanilla/premium if you happen to find it. They make cheap good gaming cards if you are not so concerned about hi-res.

Also, if all else fails, try looking for 6200 AGP cards. Forsa Geforce 6200 AGP is a good buy too - minus the turbocache. That way no more system RAM is sucked by the card. I have a Forsa Geforce 6200 in my 2nd rig and it's running Vista + aeroglass properly and smoothly. If you cannot happen to find any decent 6200 cards - drop me a PM - I know a shop nearby my house which still stock up that nifty 6200 I mentioned just now.

The 9550/9600 isn't really strong compared to the 6200 in certain cases. If you still insist of the 9550 you better get the PowerColor one, it's really special. The Geforce 5200/5500 FX is a horrible (sorry to say that) card and it's only useful for its DVI output and TV output and classic games.

Just my humble opinion. :)

edit:
    Many newer 6200 cards are only 64-bit, but that wouldn't hurt too much. I'm sure if you can get my recommendation (Forsa Geforce 6200) with the 256MB DDR2 model, it'll make a good simple Vista rig and with games which has lower graphics requirements. I've tested Doom3 on that card, with no AA, 2X AF, all high details, no vsync and it's running nicely. HL2? no AA, 2x AF, all high details, no vsync, less shadows and it's also running good. Resolutions? 800x600. If you can further to 1024x768 it'll be okay, but be careful if FPS drop to less than 15.

The Asus 9550GE will do slightly better than my 6200 also. Perhaps it'll be a guideline of these lower end cards.

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

agree with yong_grand :thumb:

go for the galaxy 7300GT..around RM300 to RM350 for a agp card..good value buy for now..

dun spend more on agp card nowdays..

11. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

7300 is out out of budget :think:
    is that 6200 asus 128 bit?

that y buying a budget card only

that what i am worried about :sick: :wall:

1.Monitor cable is not tightly connected with VGA card.
    Check the connection of your monitor cable. Tighten the screw on the connector.

2.Your motherboard does not support AGP 4X or 8X.
    If your motherboard only supports AGP 1X/2X, it cannot provide correct voltage to your AGP 4X/8X card. So you will have to change your Motherboard or VGA card to fiteach other.

3.If there is integrated graphics function on your motherboard, it may conflict with your VGA card.
    Disable the integrated Graphics from the BIOS setup program.

4.Other components' fault in your system.
    Check your CPU, Motherboard and Memory.

http://www.rosewill.com/support/trouble_shoot.aspx

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

His budget is below RM200 :| You are already asking him to spend more :haha: Besides, he doesn't even need 7300GT to play his games, almost any sub RM200 cards will run his games just fine :mrgreen:

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

14. The_YongGrand

The 7200GS is for PCI-E, maybe they are making 'em for AGP cards too.

The best sub RM200 card is the 6200, or the 9550 variant cards. Any one of them will do. The Geforce 6200 I mentioned is only 64-bit, but it's a DDR2. Works nice and pretty good without too much details sacrifice. Only thing is minus the AA and enable the AF 2x. :)

15. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

:wall: my bad, I thought the 7200GS is PCI-E.

DDR or DDR2 isn't really the issue here... Unless the 6200 has high enough memory clock speed to compensate for the 64-bit memory interface, otherwise its very unlikely for it to easily outperform the 9550 with 128-bit memory interface.

but for his case, it probably doesn't matter at all :haha: He can get whichever card he likes :mrgreen:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, DDR vs DDR2 doesn't really matter. The memory bandwidth is the key issue.

17. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

thanks for all ur input
    i gonna go for the 9550GE or anything with 128 bit :p

i just too worried, i gonna try my fren's 8x card first on my mobo before buying one.

18. The_YongGrand

I'm sure your board is okay with the ATi videocard. Yours is a SiS chipset one - it's good to go. I heard that the VIA chipsets are quite picky in ATi videocards - some wouldn't run perfectly on it. :)

19. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Go for a 7300GT AGP card if u can afford it,otherwise 6200 AGP.

20. The_YongGrand

The 7300GT is beyond the thread-starter's budget. To be much more realistic,his options will be a 6200 or an Asus 9550GE. These cards will help in lightweight games and even games like Doom3 and HL2 to work okay provided you turn off the AA. :)