The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

recommendation? erm..I would suggest this

[​IMG]

:thumb: :thumb: cheap yet powerful :thumb:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Ishtvan: It should work with all XT BIOS. I've not seen any Samsung RAM on XT before. In that review, I didn't see any picture of the card with the RAM exposed.

ernie-c: Don't get IceBerq. It's a crap cooler for your 9800. I would recommend something like Zalman ZM80C-HP, since Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer won't work on XT for now.

3. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

thx chai :)
    what about RAM-Heatsinks? Which ones do fit "under" the Zalman Heatpipe?!

edit: ordered the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev.3
    the third revision is said to be compatible with the 9800XT and for 10€...well :)

4. Speedo

Speedo Newbie

Yea, I know. But what have been altered in the "128MB XT bioses" to make them work with 128MB cards?

5. Chai

I heard that only the Rev. XT will support the 9800XT.

Only the Coolermaster RAMsink will fit below the Zalman heatpipe. But it's not very important, because Zalman has a cooling fan blowing across the card.

Well, you have already ordered it... :)

6. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

addionally ordered a set of Revoltec BGA-RAM Heatsinks for 8€, looks on the installation screenshots of the VGA Silencer like they'd fit in between :)

7. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

i read dat ram sinks all no use............. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
    but nice 2 look at.........good 4 modding......... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8. ernie-c

ernie-c Newbie

hm, they should keep the rams at least a little cooler coz i can't reach the 400mhz on RAM currently, 385 is maximum without artifacts, hope they'll do the 400 with the heatsinks.
    i'll let ya know if i have them installed.

9. vapporel

vapporel Newbie

HELP...

My dear Chai, please can you say me if my Video Card is candidat for 9800Pro@9800XT MOD?

My Video Card is a GeCube Radeon 9800Pro/256MB.

MODEL: GC-R9800PRO-D3 256MB CRT/DVI/TV

If is it, please tell me, ¿this is the BIOS that I need?

http://softmod.ocfaq.com/bios.php?sort=mfgr

GECUBE 9800 XT 256 MB 2003-10-23 10:28 2004-03-14 11:51 412 / 365
    (unknown)

THX

10. Chai

11. jrhvball

jrhvball Newbie

Adrian,

Just wanted to thank you for the 9800Pro ----> 9800XT mod article and info. I was lucky enough to purchase an ATI 9800 Pro w/128mb 2.8ns Hynix from Fry's for $179 when they had a two day sale a couple of weeks ago.

In my quest to replace the heatsink with an Artic Cooler VGA Silencer, I confirmed that I did indeed have a R360 Core. Thanks to your guide, I was able to flash the card with the Club bios and now I have a very nice stable 9800XT. I'm using the newest Omega drivers based on the Cats 4.5 and they seem to be exceptional drivers.

Now, I just need to cool my old 9500 Non-Pro a bit more and clock it a bit higher. It's too bad that it's one of the ones that has artifacts when it's softmodded into a 9700. Oh well, not a bad old card to have on my second machine. :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ROTFL! It was all Chai's work. He did the modding, testing and wrote up the guide. :thumb:

13. Chai

My work? I think that's Sin22's! :haha: Glad that it helped you. :)

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

ROTFL!! You are right. It's the 128MB card! :haha:

Sorry. My bad.. :mrgreen:

15. jrhvball

jrhvball Newbie

Sin22, Chai, and Adrian...thanks to ALL of you! :beer: Great call on finding and modding the 128MB R360's.

16. limpgimp

limpgimp Newbie

First of all thanks for the awesome guide. Secondly i just recieved my Saphire 9800PRO 256 card yesterday on opening, to my horor i saw that it looked exactly like the 9700PRO......samsung mem....even the crappy saphire heatsink is gone i guess thats good thing, bad thing in my case. My question, Does this card have any chance at being modded? Should i just RMA it?Thanks

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You need to remove the heatsink to check whether it's the R360 or R350 :mrgreen:

18. limpgimp

limpgimp Newbie

hmm if i remove the heatsink and its not the right core will i be able to put it back on?

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Sure! :mrgreen:

20. limpgimp

limpgimp Newbie

ya know as im takin off the off the heatsink i just realized that theres a HL2 Voucher in the box,correct me if im wrong but didnt they only do that for the early batches of the card? are they still packaging HL2 vouchers with 9800PROs?