The NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 GPU Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

RAM does not improve the performance if you don't need to extra RAM. Radeon 9000 64MB should still have the edge, but the gap should be slightly smaller with 5200 64MB.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello GoyoNeuff,

Chai is right. The extra memory won't help the Go5200 much. The Go5200's core is weak. Even overclocking didn't help things much.

So, head to head, yeah, I believe the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 will put the GeForce FX Go5200 to shame, even with the same amount of memory.

3. Adrian Wong

BTW, GoyoNeuff, you also asked me this :-

Well, naturally the Radeon 9000 is faster than the Radeon 7500. From the benchmark results I have seen, well, the Radeon 7500 is actually faster than the Go5200. But I can't say for sure.

4. GoyoNeuff

GoyoNeuff Newbie

Hi Everybody!!!
    I'm learking a lot here w/ u guys!!! :D Let me post the following question: What about the ATI RADEON IGP320M, does somebody know about this UMA video memory performance? I'm AMD inclined, and I found a Fujitsu S2020 just perfect (but anything is perfect :lol: , except my wife :shock: !!!), but my only concern is this Graphic Card solution. Waiting for you wise suggestions!!
    K.

5. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

ARP is the best!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    dun use UMA..........dat is shared memory with ur RAM...........it will reduce ur RAM & also very bad for graphics speed........... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

6. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. You can check the specifications of the Radeon 320M here - http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=98&pgno=0.

But if you ask me, you should try to avoid a shared-memory graphics solution, especially if you are looking for better 3D performance. It's always advisable to go for graphics solutions with dedicated memory. :mrgreen:

7. Raph

Raph Newbie

Dell 5150 and Go5200

Hey, i have quite a problem here, my go5200 is giving me a headache because it's been overclocked and I've since been struggling to set it at a reasonable rate... In fact, it seems to be overheating everytime I play counter strike (even in 640 480 and 16 bits graphics): the game just skips from time to time, and after a while it just alternates between REALLY laggy ( :wall: 4 frames/sec :wall: ) and normal phases.

So here are my questions :?: : Is this problem normal? What are the default Dell clock speeds for the Go 5200? What are the reasonable clock speeds for this config? How can I bring everything back to original factory settings?

The thing is, I even asked Dell to take the computer back in to check it out, so if the card is kinda damaged from all the overheating it has suffered from, I dont want them to see I actually messed around with it ;) .

Thanks a lot. :thumb:

8. Chai

What overclocking software are you using? I'm sure reseting to deafult is as simple as overclocking it! :D

9. Raph

Raph Newbie

that's not the problem...

It was tweak XP, but it doesnt have any reset function (well, it does, but I screwed up), the thing is, I can't go back, I would'nt be asking for the reference speeds I could go back, now would'nt I? Plus, I've been using other progs to try to set it back to normal, all I did was to mess my computer farther. All I'm looking for is a way of getting my graphic card to the way it was when I unwrapped my lap top, and clearing any kind of trace of the past changes. Isn't there some kind of authentic firmware reseter just for the go5200?

10. Chai

Yes, you should be able to go back to default speed no matter wat, because the clockspeed information is stored in the video card BIOS, and nothing can change it except a video card BIOS flash. Try using other utilities like RivaTuner, because stock speed differs from manufacturers.

11. Raph

Raph Newbie

and..?

ok, I've downloaded riva tuner, i checked it out, but i doesnt answer my earlier questions: Is this problem normal? Should a go 5200 64ram, 3ghz, 1 gig ram lag on games such as counter strike? How can i find out the reference clock speeds?

I really dont want to be rude, but all riva tuner is giving me is another way of setting my clock speeds, which I already had the possibility to do...

Thanks a lot.

12. vgharaei

vgharaei Newbie

UPDATE Toshiba M30

Allright you guys were looking for drivers?
    how bout the 61.12? has official support for the "Go5200 32MB/64MB" which the Toshiba uses.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/nvidia geforce go.htm

and I am currently running my toshiba M30 TFT at 100Hz! with the GPU clocked at 300/600 with no problems...

The 61.12 has a MUCH better interface for choosing Monitors and frequencies..and it has much better/more information :)

hope that helped guys!!

13. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

Re: Dell 5150 and Go5200

heiiiiiii..........simple..........juz uninstall ur driver............then install it again.........sure reset ur clock speeds........... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

14. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

Re: and..?

rivatuner should have reset option............
    u check dis article alredi?????? = http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=76&pgno=0

15. Raph

Raph Newbie

all i want to know is...

all i want to know is given my configuration, and the fact that I've tryed all sorts of latest drivers, and so forth... All I want to understand is wat the problem coming from: I know know that's it's not the drivers nor the clock speed nor windows, I'm doubting that my graphic card be malfunctioning. Given your experience and knowledge of the go5200's capabilities, I would just like to tell me if it's normal: "should a go5200 run perfectly counter strike at 640 480 in 16 bits graphics?"

16. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

Re: all i want to know is...

should be ok larrrr.............counter strike is an old game......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    check & see if ur agp speed is 4x or 1x............& mebbe uninstall ur driver & install new one.........sometime its coz of driver corruption............ :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

17. Raph

Raph Newbie

ok then

Then it's settled, if it lags it means the graphic card itself has a problem, then i did right to tell Dell to fix it for me, thx

18. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

Re: ok then

dunno ur card got problem..........suspect mebbe its driver corruption...........to fix dis cannot juz install new driver............. :think: :think: :think:
    must uninstall.....reboot..........then install new driver........... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

19. johnwestbrook

johnwestbrook Newbie

Go5200 DVD problems

Hi, I've been having some weird issues with my Dell 5150. The Go5200 card seems to be running really slow for DVD. I read all your reviews for the gaming and am not too concerned about the poor results there. But I have an Emachines M5310 with integrated Radeon graphics that tests around 200fps for the PowerDVD Diagnostics while my Dell tests at 48 to 51 fps with the same Diagnostic. What's the deal? Also, when hardware acceleration is enabled on the Dell the video seems to be a bit jumpy. Setting the Deinterlace to Force Weave fixes the jumpy part but then the video is poor quality. However, this doesn't seem to be the case with PowerDVD XP 4. Only the previous or newest versions. Any help on the above issues would be greatly appreciated.

20. Adrian Wong

Re: Go5200 DVD problems

Hello John,

I suggest you try updating the driver for your Go5200. The Go5200 or any other GPU these days should not have any problem playing DVD movies.