The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. SolomonGrundy

SolomonGrundy Newbie

This line was in my Visiontek BIOS, no need to remove the heatsink to check :)

R360 Hynix DDR 113-A07537-103 BIOS

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My card was recognised as R350 in the BIOS despite the fact that my card has R360 core.

3. PikaPichu

PikaPichu Newbie

My bios recognizes my R360 as an R350 too. Why is that?
    Much thanks for the links to the new revs of Silencers UltimateMan! I can't wait to see how well they perform!

4. Chai

5. UltimateMan

UltimateMan Newbie

heh

sheesh...after 16 pages, a thread starts to be redundant eh?

Same here with my core tho...Before 9800xt flash, ati tool said R350. Afterwards, R360. It says what we tell it to say, what the video card bios says.

6. MtX

MtX Newbie

ok.. im missing my control panel.. but the comp says card is 9800XT..

7. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

i have a Sapphire radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB with XT layout and hynix 2,8 ns RAM. Works fine with the modded Sapphire BIOS. I also get temperature readings with ATi Tool. :shock:
    BUT why doesn't the BIOS support Overdrive and temperature controlled fan? :roll:
    Any possibilities to unlock this features in near future? :eh:

8. Chai

The driver will only detect for the 'real' 9800XT, which has 256MB. Without a modded driver, getting that feature is not possible.

9. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

okay, overdrive isn't very important for me ;)
    but i want tempcontrolled fan - is this possible with any of the modded bioses?!
    otherwise i have to use my zalman on and on because with the modded bios the tempcontrol didn't work :(

EDIT: and my zalman hp80-c sucks...
    just want new Arctic Cooling silencer 3 controlled by bios :(

10. Chai

Are you sure it has temperature controlled fan?

I've just installed ZM80D-HP on my system. It's not too bad. But needs a lot of airflow, you need to get a bigger fan (120mm) to blow onto the heatsink. It will improve the performance of the heatsink.

11. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

i installed my zalman hp80-c on my Radeon 9800 Pro @ modded XT BIOS because the stock cooler sucked :roll: - and the bios didn't turn the fan slower in idle mode as it does on a real radeon 9800 XT. :(
    But as my card has the XT layout it would be capable to regulate the fans speed according to the GPU temperature. Unfortunately the modded BIOS doesn't support thermal control, otherwise the fan wouldn't have run at full speed everytime.
    If there is a BIOS for my card which supports thermal control, i would like to have it - doesn't matter if it is XT or only a Pro with controlled fan... :?

12. MtX

MtX Newbie

Chai, did i do it right? im using 9800XT bios, but what about drivers.. im just using regular catalyst 4.7s, no omegas

13. Chai

I didn't noticed the fan speed changes with my R9800 Pro 256MB modded to XT with my stock cooler.

How are you going to have a thermal controlled fan if you don't plug the fan onto the fan connector on the card??? Especially when using Zalman HP...AFAIK, ATI cards doesn't have thermal controlled fans, only Nvidia has it.

MtX: If you follow the guide, you shouldn't be facing any problems. I know I didn't...

14. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

for your information: i tested it with my stock cooler if the bios has thermal control support or not...
    i think you are a little bit uninformed:
    ATi Radeon 9800 XT and ATi Radeon X800 Series has thermal controlled fanspeed - and this is done by the BIOS of the Radeons and NOT by the fan itself. The Radeon 9800 XT runs its fan on the lowest level until it reaches 75 degrees celsius - then it rises the speed in several steps...
    Next version of ATi-Tool will feature a function to control the fan...

EDIT: The temperatures are measured through the LM63 chip on the radeon 9800 XT and the fan is also controlled by this little chip which is located on the left side of the VPU mounted in an angle of 45°

EDIT2: here is a picture - on the right side the small chip mounted 45° -> http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/r9800xt-3/collage1.jpg

15. Chai

Are you sure it's available on 9800XT? Even ATITool can support X800 only in the future, no 9800XT fan control support.

16. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

YES, I'm SURE because i've got a Radeon 9800 XT at home temporarily [lend from a friend for testing] and IT HAS a temperature controlled fan - not controlled by the fan itself - it is controlled by the BIOS of the graphics card -> works like at nvidia cards: start computer -> fan runs at full speed, after max. 2 seconds it throttles the fan to an unhearable level... when the temperature rises over 75 °C it increases the speed to next level...

EDIT: read this -> http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/video_graph/ati/radeon/9800xt/pg2.shtml <- "......Just like the MSI video card, the ATI Radeon 9800XT seems to have a temperature controlled fan, as upon initial startup it spun at close to 65dBA, though once it realized there was no load dropped to about 50dBA (or less). This sound level is very commendable as quietness is something strived for by many users today, but did this sound level have any effect on the overclocking of the card......"

17. Chai

I haven't tested a real 9800XT before. Maybe you need fan that supports the LM63 probably? I don't think BIOS controls the fan speed, it's the LM63.

18. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

yeah, you are right, the LM63 reads temperature and controls the fan. But it has to be set by the BIOS - like temperature table [temperature~speed] - if it isn't set by the BIOS, the fan will just run at 100%...
    I can put on the Radeon 9800 XT's fan to my Radeon 9800 Pro @ XT BIOS if you want - but i don't think that there is anything different, because the 9800 Pro stock fan has got a tach signal and i don't think that there is anything different...

19. Chai

But my 9800 Pro flashed to original XT BIOS, even the fan comes with RPM wire, but I haven't noticed any different fan speed.

And FYI, Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer doesn't support fan control. It doesn't even have RPM wire, and the fan speed can only be controlled by a switch behind the slot panel.

20. GRiNSER

GRiNSER Newbie

mhm i don't understand that - i'll check it out with using my stock fan @ xt of friend of mine...
    don't think it depends on fan plugged on the card - think there is something else wrong...

btw. didn't i talk about *NEW* arctic cooling silencer? ;)
    i mean this thing: http://pcmoddingmy.com/content.php?review.81 ;)
    which should have 3 pin plug according to a webshop...