How to enable APIC??

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by tre2004, Jul 31, 2004.

1. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

I was wondering how to enable APIC? In this link
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9 it talks about turning on Hyperthreading...
    I have a 2.60 P4 windows xp pro,1 gig ram, 120 gig HDD...
    As far as doin things in the BIOS, the only thing that I know of is pressing I think F1, or something when windows xp starts, but there isn't much in there that I could see. On all of these sites I am seeing all these things that you can do in the bios... How do I make sure that APIC is turned on?
    I appreciate any info... thanx

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i dont remember pentium 4 having that APIC option ..
    as far as i remember ..it some function for AMD processors..

3. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

oh really. I'm trying to find out how to turn on Hyperthreading on my pc. On the HP site it says that it has Hyperthreading, but I have read that Hp has it turned off by default.. Does anyone have any Idea how to do this? They say it is in the bios, but I have never seen anything about HT in the BIOS. Thanx

4. rych

rych Newbie

im using AMD Barton XP2500+
    but sadly APIIC mode isin't supported as well?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello everyone,

The ability to access the BIOS features above depends entirely on the motherboard. If your motherboard manufacturer has chosen not to show those BIOS features, then you cannot access them.

Unless you hack the BIOS, of course. ;)

6. zy

HyperThreading has nothing to do with APIC..

i guess yours is a HP pc ehh?...
    what OS are you using ?

Windows XP?..pro? or home?

7. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

my product and motherboard specifications....

I have windows xp media center edition 2004, so I am pretty sure the ones that come with MCE is PRO. If you click on this link it will show you my product, and motherboard specifications. So hopefully someone would be able to tell me what I need to do to enable hyperthreading... It says that it comes with hyperthreading.... so there has to be a way to turn it on... if someone could please check out my product specifications and let me know what I need to do... thanx, I really appreciate it.

8. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

9. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

check the task manager in WinXP, if you see two processors (2 virtual processors btw)... then HT is enabled.

10. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

11. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

pic of my task manager up

here is a still of my screen with task manager up. I don't see 2 CPU's, So it isn't enabled..

The thing is. 2 days ago I called HP and told them that I didn't have hyperthreading on this pc, and I was supposed to. They told me that it was shipped with HT, and that I had it. And they didn't tell me anything about having to enable it.. you would think that they would know that...

PS. I had to erase some of the screen to get it below 130 Kb, it was 133 before and wouldn't upload it... LOL

Attached Files:

12. zy

hmmm ... i'm not sure bout this...

i think media center edition only supports 1 CPU ..

so you wont see 2 CPUs like in Pro edition

possible HT is enabled with 1 CPU but i dont know how well it works..

win xp home - 1 cpu
    win xp pro - 2 cpus

other i dont know..

13. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

I am talking to a hp person right now... I'll let you guys know what they say.

14. zy

hmm media center edition is based in win xp pro ..
    so it should display 2 processors (virtual processors)

15. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

that is what I thought... I thought that media center pc's were xp pro... I am using help and supt.. and they are slow as hell. They have put 3 different people on there to help me.. the last guy msg me an hour ago, saying that he was goin to review the case, and get back to me, and msg'd me again about 10 mins ago.. saying the same thing... i wish they would hurry up.

16. zy

do you have any idea what bios are you using?

award? .. phoenix? AMI ?

17. zy

hmm..

if you are using award-phoenix bios.. you should see :
    [​IMG]

different motherboard bios will differ..

18. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

On cup-z it says that it is a American Megatrends Inc., in the hp site it says that it is a Asus\Award
    One of the links above are from HP on my pc, tells all the info that might help you guys know what I have, and need to do.
    Thanx

19. zy

hmm.. in ur CPU Usage.,..

is there a red line ????

and how does it differ from the green line?

20. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

yes, red a green..

Here is a pic of task manager, as you can see, there is a red line, and it pretty much follows the green one... about the same.. what does this mean?

Attached Files: