How to enable APIC??

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by tre2004, Jul 31, 2004.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

plz ignore the red line question...

back to this...

even with HT enabled...
    it is not necessary for there to be 2 graphs..
    it can be one graph...
    depending on the view mode..
    try right clicking My Computer ..
    then Properties..
    Go to hardware tab
    Click Device Manager button

Find for the Processor Properties..
    It should show two processors
    if you have HT .. it should look something like this :

Attached Files:

2. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

Here is a pic of my device manager.. it only has one processor.. they guy that I am talking to on "help and supt" is really getting on my nerves. He wants to know WHY, I want it.. If I can have it.... then I want it.. I mean come one.. Here is a little bit of our Conversation.. I don't think he knows what he is doin.. He has said to hold on, he has to look for information...

Bhanu P : Please give me more time to research on this issue and get back to you. Thanks very much for your patience.

-----Original Message-----
    Date: Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 04:22:45 PM

Your reply:

chris bogie: I want hyperthreading turned on because I run many applications at one time... Video editing, gameing, music making, music editing... So, if I can enable HT, i would like to do it. I know that it helps with that, even if it is a little bit of help, I would like to do it...
    I mean, I baught this pc because it has HT, why would it come w/ HT, and they advertise HT if it isnt even enabled?? I dont get it..
    Please just tell me, can it be done??

Date: Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 04:19:51 PM

Response to your request:

Bhanu P : Chris, hyperthreading will be enabled on your system, however let me know the reason you are looking for Hyperthreading information?

Attached Files:

3. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

I will be back in about 30 mins or so, I have to go get my wife from work.. The guy just gave me a link to a page that is suppose to give info on enabling HT.. If you would like to look over it while I'm gone and see what you think it would be awesome.
    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/pentium4_ht.htm

From what I have looked at, it says that a bios upgrade might have to be done to enable HT. And I just told him about that. Cause the version that I have now has nothing to do with HT.. Thanx guys. i will get right back as soon as I get back.. Thanx

Your reply:

chris bogie: I want hyperthreading turned on because I run many applications at one time... Video editing, gameing, music making, music editing... So, if I can enable HT, i would like to do it. I know that it helps with that, even if it is a little bit of help, I would like to do it...
    I mean, I baught this pc because it has HT, why would it come w/ HT, and they advertise HT if it isnt even enabled?? I dont get it..

Bhanu P : Chris, hyperthreading will be enabled on your system, however let me know the reason you are looking for Hyperthreading information?

Your reply:

4. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

sorry,
    I didn't mean to paste the conversation part again.. i was trying to paste the address for HT.. But, i will be back in about 30 mins or so.. thanx

5. zy

6. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

Ok, I will give it a try... did you ever test it yet with HT disabled?

7. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

He told me what was wrong. My processor only has a 400 FSB, and to have HT you need at least 533.. So I would have to get a new CPU.. which I was goin to do anyway... My board can go up to a 3.2 GHz Cpu.. So I am goin to try to get one of those pretty soon. But, thanx for all the help. I really appreciate it.. Thanx

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That guy is almost correct. You need a 800MHz FSB processor with 'C" designation on the processor to enable HT.

But make sure your motherboard supports HT before getting a new CPU. :)

9. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

yea, my motherboard supports it.. but I was wondering what you are talking about c designation or whatever about the cpu

10. Chai

Intel has all kinds of funny weird names for their processors.

P4 2.0A - Northwood processor (bigger cache)
    P4 2.4B - Northwood + 533MHz FSB
    P4 2.4C - Northwood + 800MHz FSB + HT
    P4 2.4E - Prescott + 533MHz + no HT

It is printed on the retail box.

11. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

12. zy

have you tested the utility ? ..

did your processor pass the test?

13. Chai

That is what your motherboard supports, nothing to do with the processor.

I've just checked. There's a P4 2.6GHz version with 400MHz FSB and without HT.

14. zy

hmm can you give us a screenshot of your cpu-z ?

15. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

Yea, I figured it out finally. All the people that I was talking to from HP was swearing that I had Hyperthreading.. It was really getting on my nerves..

AND
    About that utility... Here is a pic of the results.. I don't know if this means that it didn't pass, or if it didn't work right.. cause when I go to update it gives an error saying there is no browser.. to make sure that there is a browser located on my system..

Attached Files:

16. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

Yea, here is a pic of processor, and motherboard.

Attached Files:

17. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

another prob...

There is another problem that I noticed when I went into the bios yesterday.. ON the first screen when you load it up.. where it says "installed memory" it says'

Installed memory- 1024 MB/PC2100

NOW, when I baught the pc, it came with (2) 256 MB ddr333 PC2700, and I added 2 more DDR333 PC2700... SO... why does it say PC2100??? If it has it as that in the BIOS then my memory isn't as fast as it is supposed to be is it??? I told the guy about it last night from HP.. and he said that it is caused by the processor also.. He said that if I get a new processor with 533, or 800MHz FSB then it will solve that also.... Does that make any sense to you guys??

I swear, when I doubled the memory, it didn't seem to run any faster than before I added it.. Didn't make any sense

18. zy

comfirmed.. you processor is a non-HT processor..

P4 2.6 with 400MHz Bus Speed - no HT
    P4 2.6 with 800MHz Bus Speed - HT

Attached Files:

19. tre2004

tre2004 Newbie

Cool, Yea, my board can take up to a 3.2, so I am goin to get one of those soon.. I need to find a good deal on it.. But, what do you think about the memory thing??

20. zy

Re: another prob...

i'm not quite sure bout that..
    but its because it hase been limited by your CPU

pentium 4 with 400mhz system bus - up to PC2100 (266mhz)
    pentium 4 with 533mhz system bus - up to PC2100 (266mhz) <-- i'm not sure bout this ... but i do beleive the divider is 1:1
    pentium 4 with 800mhz system bus - up to PC3200 (400mhz)