Arctic Silencer DIY Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Most of us know of the Arctic Cooling Arctic Silencer graphics card cooler. Their latest iterations have an improved design, utilizing a copper base and thin aluminum fins.

Today, I will show you how to make a similar GPU cooler, all for less than S$26 (USD 15)! How did I do it? Check out the guide and you will find out!

[​IMG]

Link : Arctic Silencer DIY Guide!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Wow, great review! Hehe, will try this mod out after my exams, because i;ve got a stock INtel HSF lying around (=

3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Cool, but I think I'll stick with my Arctic Cooling Silencer. :p

4. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

HEhe, if you already have one, i doubt you'd need to read the mod (=

I'm broke and cant afford to buy one. :haha:

:arp:

5. News Writer

News Writer News Writer

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

Most of us know of the Arctic Cooling Arctic Silencer graphics card cooler. Their latest iterations have an improved design, utilizing a copper base and thin aluminum fins.

Today, I will show you how to make a similar GPU cooler, all for less than S$26 (USD 15)! How did I do it? Check out the guide and you will find out!

Here are the updates:-
    • Added the testing methodology.
      [*]Added the performance comparison and analysis.

[​IMG]

Link : Arctic Silencer DIY Guide!

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ah.. Temps is what I wanted to see... :thumb: Pretty good... :clap: :clap:

7. BoBaTrOn

BoBaTrOn Newbie

Regarding the Arctic Silencer DIY Guide Rev. 2.0

Would that go on my 9200? Even though I wont have this card much longer I always wanted to mount a heatsink and fan on it. To OC it but I never really thought of Spending 50$ on a heatsink. Now that I saw this I really want to do it. Another question is that what If I dont place the Heatsink on correctly. Is that even possible? Although most of you say its not worth it I still want to do it. When im going to sell this, it might get more attention from buyers. Btw this is how my card looks like.
    [​IMG]

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I honestly think that no matter how high you overclock you card, you wont get a lot of performance difference.. :think:

Plus your heatsink appears to have been bound on using epoxy.. :think:

9. BoBaTrOn

BoBaTrOn Newbie

Actually even though the boost wont me like a lot of other cards people who added custom fans told me they got their from 250/200 to 300/240-250. They said it didnt do much but it helped for them to play better resoultions. One guy said he can play 1024x768 High on CSS. While others like me can play only on 800x600 High. I decided not to do it. Ill be getting another card sooner than expected. Which is in 1 - 2 months

10. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Well since chips start acting poorly at high temperatures and heatsinks lower the temperatures of chips, it makes sense that adding a better heatsink = cooler chips = more overclockability.

11. Tiny

Tiny Newbie

I registered to the forums just to ask this question, but I think I will stick around some more too!

Here is my question about the DIY VGA cooler....with the added weight, what do you do to support it so there isn't as much torque on the AGP slot as there would be with just the stock cooler? I ask this also for the Arctic Silencer.

It seems that there would be added strain on the AGP connector and slot with all that added weight.

Or I could just be :nuts:

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

That won't put much strain on the gfx and AGP slow ;)
    LoL! I mounted a pure copper heatsink on my 9800Pro before :mrgreen: what do you think? :p

13. MooCow

MooCow Newbie

wont hurt the card at all. i have vga silencer, no problems yet.

you know the pcb can bend... :)

14. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Could have been better!

What struck me was this centense:
    With thermal paste, less is more! Using only a little paste should provide an even better heat transfer from the copper plate.

Cheers
    Olle

15. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

And another issue:

Another point to consider is the noise levels.

The VGA Silencer is primarily designed to provide a quiet cooling solution.
    Did this homemade cooler cut the noise?

/Olle

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's trying to emulate the VGA Silencer cooling method, not the noise level. ;)