Condo @ Palm Springs suck!! Can I sue them?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jwsk, Mar 31, 2005.

1. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Damn that sucks man, have you thought about bringing this issue to the papers as well?

2. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

I really think the best thing for the residents to do would be to get together, form a committee, and discuss on what would be the best and most appropriate action. A petition jointly signed by all residents would be very helpful too.

But as I've mentioned earlier, whatever action you choose to take, please exercise discretion. It would be more advisable to go along the lines of an appeal rather than a protest as people would be more willing to listen to pleas for help rather than demands for action.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow... That's very bad finishing, man! :shock:

I can't believe it's so bad! :nuts:

They can't even fix the switches in a straight line! :doh:

This is a seriously bad developer... I suggest writing in to the Star. And make sure the developer knows you intend to drag their name in mud.

Then again, if this is a government entity.. then they won't really care. Typical government attitude. :wall:

4. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

I think you got it quite right there. The background and experience as a developer with past records is important.

For your info, your developer was incorporated on 1/3/95 and there's no proven past record as a developer. It's not a state owned company but probably with a few nominee 'big shot' directors sitting in. The holding company is Gallant Acres Sdn Bhd, with 67% shareholding coming from a 25 year old guy. Hmm...interesting. :think:

That aside, a 1st time housebuyer do not normally do a background search on how established a developer is...until it's too late. The normal inclination is to invest in property in 'good locations' and 'value for money'.

Probably it would be good for ARP forummers (future investors :shhh: )to do some background search before commiting oneself. My 2 cents.

Jason, just keep up the presuure in getting them to do the remedial works...diplomatically...if you know what I mean.

5. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

From what I know, the developer is Muafakat Kekal Sdn Bhd and it a private company. Just that the land belongs to PKNS.

I intend to write to the Star... perhaps invite one of the journalists to actually visit the site. Who can I approach? What can I do now? The thing that frustrates me is knowing that so many other units are also facing the same problem or worse. Waiting for the Residents Association to be set up takes 3 months or more (depending on government efficiency) and I don't think we should wait any longer to expose this lousy developer. So many units are plagued with water leakage, flooding on the balcony when raining... etc. I understand if the units are already a few years old... These are all brand new units!!!

6. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Whoa! I wonder how you got that information :think: Anyway, good info. Now we know there's some stupid conspiracy of sucking ppl's money going on somewhere along the line.

Well, what to do. I think I'm gonna try to sell my unit (Any ARP members wanna buy? :D) or let them hear my voice every single day until my unit is in satisfactory condition.

7. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

Nhay...I think it's more of a young man trying to make a name for himself in this 1st venture of his. :doh:

8. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

I've already sent a letter to my friend who has connections in the Star. Hopefully my plea gets heard! :D

I've also called up the `Tribunal Tuntutan Pembeli Rumah' (House buyers tribunal) and they say we have a case but we need to get at least 20 people to file a claim. They will send someone to inspect the entire project... hopefully, it will shed some light on a lot of things... I called up the architect who designed the condos earlier today and found out that he has resigned. Furthermore, none of the people in the architect firm has his mobile number. Very fishy!

9. Adrian Wong

Wow. Very fishy, man.. :wall:

But I heard that you already have more than 40 people who's signing up for the Tribunal as well. I hope this pushes them to fix the problems FAST! :evil:

10. u suck.com

u suck.com ■ ■ ■ ■

haha..when i saw palm springs, i thought it's palm springs in california....that's a VERY EXPENSIVE place.... ;)

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

well, they are probably riding on that Palm Spring name for the 'prestige'.

Wow, the developer sounds really fishy. :(

12. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Haha... you know what? I just threatened the Sales Manager that I'll go to the press and all, that she called her personal contractor immediately to take a look at my unit. They promised me that it'll be done up in 2 days' time. Well, I went to check out my unit yesterday and yes, they did patch up things. It looks so much better now but I went in at night and couldn't see the real work yet. You can be sure now that they are very scared.

I heard from another unit owner yesterday that her wife's friend who bought a unit there as well has managed to get a full refund from Muafakat Kekal Sdn Bhd for her unit through legal means. She is the first person to win the case against the developer.

We'll see how it all goes...

13. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

Next step,... IKEA here I come!!! :lol:

14. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

Jason, is this friend if yours male or female... ? coz you said 'her wife'. :shock:

15. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Haha... you're very observant... It's actually `his wife'... Thanks for pointing that out. :D

16. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

:D Sorry. I'm a stickler for language -- sensitive that way. Of course, I happen to know someone in a same-sex marriage (in US) so, I thought I'd clarify. :cool:

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

:whistle: :roll: :whistle:
    No kidding! :lol:

18. badawi_rocks

badawi_rocks Newbie

Here's my 2 cents.

You have to consult a lawyer. People don't get scared about petitions, protests, letters etc. But the moment they see a letterhead from a lawyer's office threatening legal action, they shiver. Assuming of course, this company is solvent. If I were you, I'd get a professional contractor to take a walk round your place and the building in general to see if there are are any more defects. You certainly don't need to see your unit crumbling down 5 years later when Muafakat Kekal has closed down and its shareholders reaping the profits ;)

Ahh, this goes to show how badly enforced our legal system here is. Don't mean to be a pain, but such things would never be allowed to happen in a developed nation. Within 2 weeks the developer will be so far up its ass with lawsuits it couldn't breathe.

I've read/heard about shoddy workmanship in Kota Permai as well. Some apartment/office complexes don't even have proper back-up supplies for essentials like walkway lights, elevators etc in the event of a black-out (personal experience).

19. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

Respectfully, I disagree.

Badawi_Rocks, if you had been in the profession that I had been (i.e., dealing with lawyer firms), you'd know that getting a letter from lawyer or solicitor firms is no big deal.

Developers get such letters each and every day. It's no big deal. Usually, such developers will have sufficient backing from their own solicitors to protect their interests, and each time a nasty lawyer letter is sent to them, the same letter is forwarded to their own solicitors for their own defensive or procrastinative reply. Usually, it ends there.

If any lawsuit ensues, you can be sure it will take months or even years before the OS (Originating Summons) is issued and the plaintiff will probably back out due to lack of funds by then.

Please remember that someone has to pay the solicitor for his works while the OS and claims are being made. For example, if the developer decides to contact the Land Office for the original copy of the Title Deed or Strata Title to back up his case (though how unnecessary that may seem), such process might take more than 2 months for the Land Office to reply, and meanwhile, the plaintiff (or the client to the case) would have to pay the necessary solicitor's fees to pursue the case.

Even when the Title Deed or Strata Title has been produced, the developer may still stall by having postponements which is not uncommon. Such costs will have to be borne by the plaintiff.

The best means is still via a diplomatic solution. Having a lawyer issue a letter to sort out things will only stall the process and work to the developer's advantage.

FYI, I was a former credit executive in a bank and I was responsible for issuing such correspondence and initiating legal action against developers and defaulters. As such, I can vouch clearly that legal action in this case may take longer and cost more than you think.

20. Adrian Wong

Woah.. So, someone actually got their money refunded? :shock:

That's something... :think:

So, have you gone to check your unit yet? It should be done by now. :think:

BTW, just wondering... is it true that if you buy your unit from an original purchaser, then the developer legally has no responsibilities over the condition of your unit? :think:

I heard one project developer say that they will not repair a certain unit because the person did not purchase it from them. They say that they will only entertain those who bought the units directly from them. :think: