My New House

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 27, 2005.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmm yeah, i guess. But to make things nice, I'm projecting about 20-30K just to furnish the place with some minor renovation... The kitchen being the most expensive one! :wall:

2. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

Nice & quiet location. :thumb: ...and a good buy too! Near a major shopping centre and places of interest too.

3. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

and most importantly its gonna be near the hospital! so any emergency cases can be attended to immediately

provided he actually works there.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, Kota Mas is currently a very run-down shopping centre. In fact, TNB cut power to the complex since they couldn't pay the bills. So, the complex is running without air-conditioning now. :nuts:

But I heard that the Melaka government bought over the complex recently. Hopefully they will do something about it.

Anyway, opposite Kota Mas is Jaya Jusco, so it's still not too bad. :mrgreen:

My only problems with this new place are the lack of food in the area and, as I have just discovered, the inavailability of Streamyx in this area. I'm screwed. :wall:

5. Adrian Wong

ROTFL! Well, once I've settled the house, I will probably report for duty. :mrgreen:

6. badawi_rocks

badawi_rocks Newbie

Adrian, you mentioned that the top floor is plaster ceiling-ed. Well I'm no contractor (I know nothing about building), but I remember being told once that putting plaster ceiling on the top floor might make it 'melt' since its too hot or something like that, so you should only plaster ceiling the bottom floor.

Of course, that was some years back and plaster ceiling technology might have improved. Or the person who told me that might have been totally wrong.

Kotamas was fraught with problems from the very start heh. Change of contractors, financial problems.... :doh:

7. Adrian Wong

Really? I don't think plaster will melt. :think:

But in the past, they used aluminium struts, which has a tendency to bend since they are soft. So, after some time, the plaster ceiling will sag. So, now, the better contractors use C-shaped galvanized steel struts which are stronger and do not sag.

Yeah, it's really in terrible shape now. I hope the Melaka government can turn it around. :pray:

8. Jet

Jet Just Started

I want!!!!!!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Can i stay overnight too? :mrgreen:

btw, congratulations Adrian.. :wave::mrgreen:

9. Mike

Mike Newbie

woa. nice man. congrats!

10. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

why are we going to Malacca? ARp anual BBQ at Adrian's new house?

wicked!

11. plasma

plasma Newbie

LOL... this new place that my dad bought also is not available for streamyx.. :wall: :wall: :wall:
    btw, its really good that u'r in melacca, land is cheaper there compared to places like penang and kl...

a coursemate of mine who's from melacca, got a shock when she rented an apartment in penang. for the same rental price, she could have gotten a place 4 times bigger in melacca....

12. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

Nice house, Boss! When's the housewarming?

Oh.. and I'm not jumping over the 'just a condo' comment only because I know you couldn't possibly mean that in a bad way. :cool:.... but only because I know.

13. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

A condo is still far easier to maintain and renovate...Me and my dad could even managed to install all the lighting and fans on our own! :lol: Installing a fan is a lot of work! It's freaking heavy! :wall:

14. Adrian Wong

Sure! :mrgreen:

It's small but we have a guest room where all you guys can bunk. Hehe... :haha:

15. Adrian Wong

Err.. If you guys can make it, I don't mind. Hahaha.. :haha:

16. Adrian Wong

Well, land honestly isn't very cheap in Melaka. My place is relatively cheap because the land was converted from Malay land. The land's valued at RM 25 (USD 6.58) per sq. ft. and it is freehold.

Compare that to another piece of land which is leased hold but not converted from Malay land. It's going for RM 35 (USD 9.21) per sq. ft. Bungalow lots in Melaka are going for something like RM 65 (USD 17.11) per sq. ft. and that's not in a particularly prime area either.

So, non-converted land in Melaka is expensive. Malay land is a LOT cheaper. So, converted land tend to be cheaper BUT buying houses built on converted land requires consent from the Melaka state government. More red tape... :nuts:

17. Adrian Wong

Thanks, Leian! :thumb:

Will definitely have a housewarming when it's done. Hope you guys can make it. :wicked:

Just a condo? :confused:

Oh, LOL!! :haha:

Condos generally have much smaller built-up areas. They generally have anywhere from 800 sq. ft. to 1400 sq. ft. A single-storey terrace house usually has a built-up area of 1000 sq. ft. while double-storey terrace houses have a built-up area of 2000 to 2400 sq. ft. So, there is a big difference in the amount of internal space to furnish in the first place.

Also, there's very little to modify in a condo. Either the management's restrictions or the lack of land or a facade will limit the amount of renovation you can do. So, it is true that you will require less money to renovate and equip a condo or apartment, compared to a house.

Just look at the extra renovations I need to carry out for a house - grills and a car porch, both of which are really not required for condominiums or apartments. Also had to paint the double-gates as well as the back door. :wall:

So, if you buy a condo, rest assured you will end up spending less. Of course, this is assuming we are talking about equipping both house and condo with similarly priced furnishing, etc.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  18. Adrian Wong

Agreed! :thumb:

Wow.. You installed your own fans? :shock: :thumb:

That's a good experience, IMHO. :thumb:

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Actually, there's only one fan in the unit, my mistake. :p But installing fan requires 2 person to install, one to hold onto the unit, one more to do on the wiring. :D

20. Adrian Wong

My parents dropped by for the May Day weekend and helped me cleaned the place up. We also painted the two front gates and the back door. :thumb:

Prepping this place is certainly a lot of work. Luckily, it's not the bigger 24x70 house. That would mean a LOT more work to set up and certainly a lot more work to maintain. :wall: