P4 1.8A o/c..expert advices in need~!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by basrelief, Sep 28, 2005.

1. basrelief

basrelief Newbie

i'm been using this processor for 2 years and tend to o/c it recently to boost some software performance..

i'm wondering whether i should buy a new 1 wf higher core (2.8ghz 533FSB though it is quite difficult to find 1 in the market, heard that presscot is HOT!!) or juz o/c the current 1 by changing a better cooler..

current SPEC,

P4 1.8A 400FSB
    Asus P4P800SE S478
    2 x Maxtor 40gb hdd
    2 x 256 DDR400 Corsair Value Ram
    HIS ATI 9550 128 bit Display
    Icute 450 pws

Any1 can giv me some opinionz or advices? if i wan to o/c it what should i do? your precious opinionz would be much appreciated :wave: thx a lot !!!

1 person likes this.
  2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

hmm, if i was in ur shoes.. i'll rather try my luck OC'ing it first rather than get a new processor. if i'm happy with the speed and can more or less play all the latest games at decent fps, then i'm a happy camper.

so my advice is to get a better heatsink for it, maybe think of upgrading ur rams to 1GB (512x2) and OC away~

gambate~ :thumb:

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah get a better cooler and start overclocking...P4P800s are usually good for overclocking, and the early P4s like your 1.8A should have quite a lot of headroom. :thumb:

I recommend you look at the heatsinks from Thermalright or Cooler Master. Maybe Zalman, and also Scythe, if you can get them wherever you live.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i would say grab urself an intel 3.0ghz stock heatsink and oc it. more fun :D. it should be very cheap.

I did that to my office PC, and I managed to hit 3GHz without much effort :D I love this chip so much

Attached Files:

5. basrelief

basrelief Newbie

is tat mean i get a good stock cooler, enter the bios and push the fsb??? nothing else? such as voltage?

6. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

fcuk!! zuephok!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

u r running at just 1.6v and yet reached 3.0ghz with a 1.8A northwood!!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

that was pretty nice OC... :thumb:

wat mobo and hheatsink u using??! :nuts: :nuts:

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

intel 3.0ghz stock heatsink :mrgreen:

and the "classic" abit IS7 :thumb: :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

You'll have to play around with the RAM frequency setting as well, so that your RAM won't hold back the overclock.
    Eventually you will hit a point where the CPU is no longer stable, and that's when you give it more voltage. ;)

9. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

get yourself a better psu as well, your icute 450w :naughty: will hold your oc back.

10. Mike

Mike Newbie

stock 3ghz heatsinks are plenty for a 1.8 since it was designed to handle a northwood running @ 3ghz. also they don't need very good PSUs as the power they draw is not very high. 1.8A has a thermal output of only 49W or so.

prescott stock heatsinks are even better for OCing low end northwoods :thumb:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I OC'd the above using a stock heatsink from a 2.8C :mrgreen: