detention for terrorism suspects up to 90 days without charge

Discussion in 'News' started by aKho, Nov 7, 2005.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

ridiculous.. how can u detain someone for 3 months without charge? i say charge them with terrorism then detain them lar..

next thing u know the gov will detain ppl for that long period with no charge also...

:think:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It might be a problem if they misuse that power to arrest political opponents or rivals as "potential terrorists". :think:

I think the reason why they want to hold people for so long without charging them is if they THINK someone is a terrorist but just can't prove it. So, 90 days gives them time to arrest that person and put long and hard pressure on him/her until he/she cracks. :think:

3. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Thats nuts man.... :nuts:

5. Adrian Wong

If you think that's bad, maybe you should consider our own ISA. :mrgreen:

6. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Or worst yet... :shifty: Scary!!!

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article325439.ece

China executes about 10,000 people a year. Amnesty International says that in any three-month period, it kills more of its people than the rest of the world does over three years. The executed include those found guilty offences such as bribery, embezzlement and stealing petrol. Innocent people are frequently killed. Most executions take place after sentences are imposed at rallies in front of massive crowds.

:roll:

10000/365=27 a day! :shock:

Or, one every hour or so. :pray:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  7. badawi_rocks

badawi_rocks Newbie

Often enough the police don't have enough evidence to charge you. Granting 90 day detention orders gives them the power to arrest you with little evidence, and hopefully thwart a terrorist attack. Its not an ideal solution, but its the only way out.

If I'm not mistaken, the laws also provide a cluase for judges to order the release of anybody detained. That would cover potential misuse for political gain.

Australia has passed its own anti-terrorism laws which provide for detention of up to 14 days, with the approval of a judge.

In Malaysia, there is no such judicial oversight on merits grounds. And Malaysia's ISA detention is 2 years.

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's insane. But maybe because of the super large population. :think:

Maybe they are just looking for a way to trim the population a little? :wall:

9. Trinity

10. Trinity

Too bad no sub pic's :p

11. Adrian Wong

12. Trinity

The pic's are from pravda.

And just like the USA,,,

:shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

Russia is getting rich selling arms as well... :faint:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  13. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Definitely. They even sold the technology for China's space launches.

14. Trinity

15. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

No, it's not nuts. For your information, we practice it in our own back yard -- it's called the ISA here. :)

But it's interesting to note though, that countries such as the US and UK have been very critical of our ISA in the past -- so critical that they have labelled our laws "draconnian". It's ironic to note that they themselves are implementing similar laws in their own nations today.

16. Adrian Wong

I'm not surprised. North Korea has always tried to maintain an image of superiority even when EVERYONE knows their economy is practically non-existent and their people are starving to death.

I guess the only way the Communist government can keep itself in power is to imprison, torture and kill anyone who they think could be a dissident. :doh:

I hope the people revolts soon. I don't think the West or even South Korea can do anything about it. It will have to depend on the people's will. It's time for the Koreas to be reunited. :pray:

17. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Well, at least they are using it only to arrest potential terrorist suspects. :mrgreen:

Over here, our government is mainly using it to "teach the opposition some lessons" and to "keep them in check". :mrgreen: