Opteron 939 - w00tness!

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Papercut, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Integrated heatspreader. If you take a look at any P4 or AMD64 CPU, you're not looking at the actual CPU core, but a piece of copper (I think) that covers it. It's mainly for protection and also has the stepping and manufacturing information on it, but removing it also allows for direct contact between the CPU core and the heatsink (or waterblock) and hence lower temperatures. ;)

However, it's not easy to remove and a heatsink like my XP-90 is not recommended for use with a bare chip because of the way it mounts.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

copper ?. . nah .. its not copper :p

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

4. Oh!!!! So you mean that the metal thingy where CABNE and CABYE are usually printed on can be removed? :shock:

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It is copper... :D

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

That's right. But it's not easy...I probably wouldnt' do it :faint:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I wouldn't do it either. :D
    Xp-120 has some crazy mounting force. It squeezes out some the really thin layer of AS5 I put on it... :o

I don't want to hear any crunchy noises from my lovely venice... :shifty:

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Little update...2.7GHz 1.45V is really the best it can do; above that the voltage scaling is ridiculous.
    For some reason the 146s have come down a lot in price, so it's only A$14 more expensive than the 144 now. :nuts:
    And, this current batch of 146s (CABYE 0540FPBW) seem to be doing really well. So tomorrow I'm going to order one :mrgreen:

Yes I know I'm nuts :mrgreen:

Can't wait for exams to finish, then I can start playing with all my new toys :dance:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Still better than my Venice 3200+, 'only' 2.7GHz at 1.55V...

10. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah it's all relative isn't it...for a Venice, 2.7GHz is above average these days but for an Opteron it's near the bottom of the pile. We have a results collection at OCAU and mine is 3rd from bottom out of 20-30. :|

11. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Me wants me wants but I'll settle for my 3000+ for now I guess. 2.7GHz @ 1.55V very nice. I can't remember but I think I get around the same on mine too.

12. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Just ordered a 146...CAB2E 0540FPMW. Seems to be a pretty good stepping with only 1 lemon so far.

<blasphemy>
    Time to make a sacrifice to the overclocking gods to increase my chances of getting a good chip this time :pray:
    </blasphemy>

:haha:

13. Phut

Phut Newbie

Wow a new chip already? you are rich! :faint:

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah! RICH! :faint:

15. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Got caught up in the fever :oops: :faint:
    Will have to start selling some stuff very very soon :p

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

wonder how good does the dual core opteron clock..

tempting..

17. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

There's a couple of exceptional ones here and there...I think the sample so far is quite small :think:

In other news, I decided to take off my XP-90 to see if I was having contact issues, and true enough, the AS5 was not even spread properly :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
    Re-mounted and temps are now 45ÂșC with D2OL running. Previously was >50 :?

So, I should be able to push it a bit further. :dance:

18. zachig

zachig Newbie

After reading 'bout the Opteron's performance in overclocking, I would really like to put my hands on a nice Opti 146.

Adrian, can't you make a contest that will offer a nice opteron for free??? :mrgreen:

19. werty316

werty316 Newbie

yes please yes please :pray: hehe

20. I'm planning on buying new parts in January. I just hope that the opties that will be available then will still be able to reach at least 2.7Ghz. :|

Though, I have a bad feeling that they'll suck. :cry: